Allen Bradley panelview plus 1500 not lighting up

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good morning,

I am onsite at a customer. They have a panel view plus 1500 that does not light up. The screen is always black.

I am not very familiar with these screens, but if I have 120v to the control power terminals is there any reason the screen shouldn’t light up when we touch it? It is entirely unresponsive.

They say in the past. For no explained reason, the screen would just black out in the middle of operations. If they tapped the screen a bunch of times, it would lighten up again.

Note: there is something weird with their control power. I have 120v between line and neutral. But I have only about 60v from line to ground. There is about 60v potential between neutral and ground. This does not seem right, but would it cause this hmi problem?

I just realized their is no incoming control ground into this panel. All the devices are grounded together but the installer did not pull a ground into this enclosure so it is simply using the frame to get to ground.

This whole thing work as of yesterday, so although that does not seem right, it also seems to me that likely is not the cause of why this hmi is acting like it is.

2711P-RL15C

This is the backlight that goes to the PV1500+. I have seen them fail. I cannot be for certain this is your circumstance.

Is your panel powered by 120? or do you power a DC power supply then the panel from 24vdc? If you think your problem is not having the correct power pull the panel and bench test it. Hook it to a cord and plug it in see if it works; if it still does not then I would say you have a faulty backlight or screen is dead.

The panel is powered by 120v.

Is the backlight a field replaceable item?

The panel is powered by 120v.

Is the backlight a field replaceable item?

Yes you can take the panel apart and replace the backlight. There would be instructions with the new backlight that you purchase. You also have the option to replace the whole screen assembly that comes with a backlight and screen.

I just thought of this and figured I better mention it.

There is a Cat5 cable going from the HMI to the an ethernet switch.

The lights on the ethernet port on the HMI nor the switch are flashing or on. Wouldn't that indicate a deeper issue than the back light?

the 60 volts from line to ground and neutral to ground should tell you there is something wrong. you have an open wire, loose terminal, or floating ground.

the device cannot see the correct voltage, so it won't turn on.
the wiring MUST be fixed to the correct voltages before the unit will work or someone gets hurt.

james

I just thought of this and figured I better mention it.

There is a Cat5 cable going from the HMI to the an ethernet switch.

The lights on the ethernet port on the HMI nor the switch are flashing or on. Wouldn't that indicate a deeper issue than the back light?

I agree that you should fix your power to make sure your panel is seeing a 120v potential.

I would say that you need to take this to a bench and test it to see if the panel is ok. This will tell you if you need to order a backlight or a screen. While someone else can look into the power problem at the installation site.

I tried to post 2 pictures of the numbers, but I see that didn't work for some reason

I believe the cat 2711P-T15C4A1 is probably the number you want? I have separate numbers for the color touch display module and the logic module if you want them as well.

You have 120v at the supply power terminals. You have a combination of screen not lighting up and no communication between PV and network switch. Sounds to me like either the PV internal power supply, circuit/logic board or both are fried.

Add in the 60v to ground which sounds like a partial short/ground fault to me. It strengthens my theory. Like several folks have said I would take it and bench test. Check the PVs internal power supply's step down x-former. The That might be where your issue lies.

If your

So I have wired the hmi to a good 120v power supply. 120v to ground and 0V to neutral.

The hmi acts exactly the same without the screen lighting up and the network lights are off.

Is there anything it can be other than internal parts?

The strange thing is that once I disconnected the control power from the hmi and connected a good solid power to the pv. Then the incoming control power straightened out to normal.

Edit: this does not seem consistent. I will need to get a contractor to check this out

Last edited:
remove all cables from the unit as well as remove power.
wait 30 seconds and reapply power.
leave all other cables unplugged and see what happens.

if the display turns on, bad comms cable.
if it doesn't, you might send it off for repair.
we use Teamsesco, very reasonable pricing.

note - I have no association with Teamsesco, they repair our plc's.

james