Allen Bradley SLC 100

1745-PCC Cable

jrwb4gbm

Thanks for your reply - I have pin out details(they are actually available on the AB website Document ID 2773 or now G12348) but I am told that there is a black box on the proper cable with some electronics in it. Is this correct or can I just make a cable up using the pin out details?

There's nothing magic about the adapter, no special program inside it or anything like that. It's just similar to a RS232 to RS422 adapter. Cable only might work if you know how to combine the TX- and TX- and the RX+ and RX- to just TX and RX and Signal Ground. Otherwise buy an over the counter RS232 to RS422 adapter from B&B or as recommended in one of the linked threads, get a short haul modem model 800a from Black Box Corporation.

I would also look into having AB or a local distributor come out and get the programs out. The biggest problem I see with running the program is finding a DOS based computer to run the program. The software is also pretty expensive if you or your customer do not own a copy.

Here it is May 6th 2010, and the software / cable pack (1745-PCK) can still be purchased new.

Out of curiosity...
Anyone have a clue as to weather the software will run within ANY windows Version?

We used to be able to trick softwares by running them in dos boxes, or am I getting cloudy.......

OLD THREAD ALERT

The software can be downloaded for free from the AB website, so what you are paying for most likely is just the 1745-PCK.

The software will run just fine on Windows XP except that you won't be able to go online. PCIS wants to directly access and control the COM port which Window's wont allow. Running in a DosBox virtual machine will work just fine and allow you to go online. Our colleague GeniusInTraining has several posts on how to set it up. Do a forum search on PCIS and you'll find his posts as well as links on where to download the software for free from AB's website. The forum search should also help you find the manuals.

There are also some aftermarket PCK modules available and links to those are also in the various PCIS threads.

Printing from PCIS under windows is a little tricky - info on how to do that is also covered in several of the PCIS threads.

Hold on a minute

Here it is May 6th 2010, and the software / cable pack (1745-PCK) can still be purchased new.

Out of curiosity...
Anyone have a clue as to weather the software will run within ANY windows Version?

We used to be able to trick softwares by running them in dos boxes, or am I getting cloudy.......

That is the darn thing about AB PLCs... they just go on forever.

Would you spend 2010 dollars on a 1985 XT PC with 5" floppy drives and a 10mb C: drive? NO WAY.

Your I/O count can't be that much. I endorse a 4-hour brain-transplant, and put in a new small scale PLC.

FYI

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=37641

You can also configure it to run with your USB port (we sell USB or serial cables for them)

-------------------------------------

Plastic said:
put in a new small scale PLC.

This is what most of my customers are doing but its a lot easier to look at the program and copy the logic... then you will not have to do very much troubleshooting after the replacement