Allen Bradley SLC 500 moving EPROM to RAM procedure

kemppioy

Hello,

We have one customer who is asking if there is a way with Allen Bradley to restore the EPROM to RAM easily by some method such as turning the keyswitch to a certain position or something like is done with Siemens S7 series processors. Basically they want to move the EPROM data to RAM only on a certain condition and not all the time when there is an error or when the power is removed from the plc. Can this be done similar to Siemens where you turn the keyswitch to a certain position and it loads the EPROM to RAM but only in this condition?

Thanks

Paul Kemp

Hi kemppioy.

I dont think there is any way to programatically force a load of the EPROM into RAM.

If none of the EPROM bits S:1/10, S:1/11 or S:1/12 are set, the EPROM can only be read into RAM via RSLogix500. If there is an HMI that can initiate the same function I dont know.

The closest thing as I see as to let the user decide when to load the EPROM into RAM is to set S:1/10 "Load Memory Module On Memory Error".
It still requires the user to shutdown the PLC and to drain the green capacitor on the circuit board with a jumper (!). Not exactly something you would want to do too often.

If you have enough memory, then you could setup extra datafiles with factory default values. And when the user wants to, you could copy the entire contents of the "initial" datafiles into the "active" datafiles.

Last edited:
The only HMI's I know about that can perform an EEPROM load (as well as a Program/Run switchover) are the DTAM and a PanelView Standard terminal with DH485 protocol. Otherwise you need the RSLogix 500 software, or a download device like the 1747-PSD Program Storage Device.

I also once got this function to work through a 1761-NET-DNI connected to the serial port of a MicroLogix, but it's unlikely that the original poster has such a configuration.b