Allen bradley software or hands-on training

2004sk4

Does anyone have any suggestions of either a online site or company in the south that offers extensive training of allen bradley rs logix. The local community college offers classes but it really just the very basics. With companys upgrading equipment and trying to be more automated .There is a sense that alot is being dropped between the cracks. Our facility uses mostly allen bradley but we do have some oddballs such as omron,mitubishi, toshiba and siemens logo and s7's We would like to standardize equipment but the purchasers don;t ask important questions like that till it to late.

thanks ahead of time.
This forum has helped me alot by reading other people mistakes,suggestion and information. I know there is alot of things i don;t know but i am willing to learn.

Allen Bradley Hands On.

I would recommend that you contact your local Allen Bradley distributor. Ask them directly where you might be able to get some hands on training. Our local distributor recently had an Automation Exposition at our local convention center. It was great, because you could sign up for free seminars, and get good informational training.
To me I learn more going online with an actual machine while it is running. I find that every programmer does things a little differently, but once you understand how the program works, it makes trouble shooting the machine much easier.
You may find that some manufacturers password protect their version of the PLC software. To me this has always been wrong. If a customer has paid for a machine, they should have the ability to go online with the PLC, but that is only my opinion.o_O

the local AB rep here just pushes the newer software & hardware, doesn't really try to support RS5/500 or older drives...gets you to call tech support for software/config/troubleshooting help.

If you are talking about standardising equiptment then i would get the rep in to price the PLC's..while he is pricing it mention about the training..

I got training when a local plant upgraded to control logix..The order was big enough that Rockwell sent an instructor for a 1 week course. My rep knew i was looking so he slipped me in the class..I am glad i didnt pay for it becouse the instructor wasnt that great..He knew his stuff but his english was poor to average (Russian was his native tounge if i remember) and he spoke in a monotone for hours..

But it was informative..

D

2004sk4 said:
Does anyone have any suggestions of either a online site or company in the south that offers extensive training of allen bradley rs logix. The local community college offers classes but it really just the very basics.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
When I went to Comm Coll here in Seattle (finished last May) they had Allen Bradley from the little 10 point thru the 5/05. So I cannot fault them on hardware. I was in a self study where I set waht I wanted to learn. Did the basic stuff
motor starting basic input output etc
sequencer ( used a stop lite and washing machine as models)

PID Tried doing this with thermocouples. Learned all about interferance on thermocouples the hard way. Switched to combining a VFD and used PLC ot control hydraulic motor speed via the VFD to control the hydraulic pump motor. Worked pretty well sur learned how to foul up a PID. THEN learned how to make it work.
LAST tried stepper motor control - this was not a good venture I was the student and clearly over my head it was also the first time the instructor tried it with this combination so we were over his head. Got it to work though (major lesson make sure those #)&&(& dip switches are set properly)

RECOMMEND
see if instructor will let you do self study also.

Dan Bentler