Allen Bradley Support Contracts

nswu1

What kind of option or costs are involved to get support years after your original expired? Do they have a short time support contract or just a year at a time? Can you get updated software with it?

WallyPrestone said:
I have RSLinX, Rs500, Rs5000, RSSQL for 1 year would cost $480.00

You sound like you are getting a far better deal than I am for RSLogix 500, Ultraware and Panelbuilder. Our contract has been over 1000 bucks a year. Although I'm dropping support for Panelbuilder and Ultraware this year I think.

What type of support contract do you have? E-Connect, DirectConnect or PriorityConnect?
ChuckM said:
You sound like you are getting a far better deal than I am for RSLogix 500, Ultraware and Panelbuilder. Our contract has been over 1000 bucks a year. Although I'm dropping support for Panelbuilder and Ultraware this year I think.

Our purchasing gal brought by a invoice from Siemens for one year of Step7 support at over $1200, thats about twice what the DirectConnect is for all of our AB products. We do about one job every 3 years with Siemens controllers, so I told her to hold off until the next one comes up and we really need it.

JRW said:
The SUS service is cheaper than that. Is this for 1 Step7 package??

I'm not exactly sure of what service it was, she showed me the invoice and it had one line item that said one year support at ~$1200. We have one Step7 license.

The problem with support contracts is I do not believe any two companies will recieve the same price, different variables involved I guess.

I think it goes buy how many application you have like 1-4 processors, 1-4 drives and so on the more you tell them you have like 10 processors the price will go up

AB changed that with there stuff..Its now how many software title you have..I have the common 3 RSview ME, rs 500 and rs 5000..for direct connect i paid $893.00..I got support when i plugged into a control logix processor that was at V13 when i was at 10..Downloaded update from the web and was good to go..

D

I can confirm the processor-count system, as that is how our maintenance contract with Rockwell works. We are in the "under 10 processors" category, which makes our E-Connect contract about $500 per year. I really only use it for software updates.

As I understand it, more PLCs installed = more money for support. I can't see any easy way around that since your distributor tracks how much hardware you buy from them.

-John

P.S. To answer the poster's original question, I don't think there are any extra fees or penalties to start a new support contract. Ours had lapsed for a number of years but was still only $500 when we renewed it.

Last edited:
Yearly fee for SUS for STEP7 BASIS is approx 350 Euro (430 USD).

But it is not a requirement to get support that you have a SUS service.
You can allways download service packs and hotfixes for your current software version.
And if you post or phone about a problem you will typically be answered within a day. If you have special support contract you can get top priority so that you will be answered more quickly. In my company we dont have this extra support contract though.

kolyur said:
I can confirm the processor-count system, as that is how our maintenance contract with Rockwell works. We are in the "under 10 processors" category, which makes our E-Connect contract about $500 per year. I really only use it for software updates.

As I understand it, more PLCs installed = more money for support. I can't see any easy way around that since your distributor tracks how much hardware you buy from them.

-John

P.S. To answer the poster's original question, I don't think there are any extra fees or penalties to start a new support contract. Ours had lapsed for a number of years but was still only $500 when we renewed it.

It must be different for OEMs. I was told it was based on the s/w packages we have and the number of engineers registered here that would be calling in for help. We have no processors on any equipment in-house but we ship out many on the machines we build. I believe our bill was between $600 and $700 per year covering about 6 s/w licenses of RSLogix, RSNetworx, Ultraware, etc. Very fair pricing in my book considering all of the updates available.