Altivar71 with Ethernet Communication

darienpogi

Hello Guys! I just want to ask if it is possible to control VFD Altivar 71 using PLC(LMC078) Schneider via Ethernet Communication.

I have installed the DTM for the Altivar71 but it still cannot get into the ethernet Network however the Altivar71 works with CANOpen Communication. :confused:

PLC Software: SoMachine Logic Builder
Controller: LMC078
VFD: Altivar71

The Image attached is for your reference.

Thank you 🤞🏻

Altivar71.png

Only if you have an ethernet option card installed on the drive. The default port (RJ45) is for Modbus Rs485 and Canopen. Not for Ethernet

Only if you have an ethernet option card installed on the drive. The default port (RJ45) is for Modbus Rs485 and Canopen. Not for Ethernet

do you know how to insert it into Ethernet Network? I cannot configure the Altivar71 with Ethernet communication. I'm using the LMC078 controller

Sorry for asking so many questions.
I am new to Schneider PLC.

I also havent used this controller for this but you should have an io scanning option under ethernet port (not ethernet ip). Then the atv71 normally has a in-table and out-table where you configure what to read and write to. Have a look at m241 or m251 io scanning videos on youtube. Modbus tcp/ip io scanner

Last edited:
Verify your firmware versions for Ethernet comms with Schnieder. I know of a set of 4 installed and running Altivar 71 and 61 drives from 2009 that I can fault anytime, at will, requiring a power cycle to clear, by pinging the drive too much.

This was discovered when the drives faulted 3 times over a weekend and I found the IT dept was scanning the OT networks. It was scary how easily these things literally crashed.

There is literally only 1 or maybe 2 ... I think it's down to 1 now .... employee that is knowledgeable about this series in the entire company. they were from the old guard of Telemecanique and then SQD. 2 have retired in the last 2 years and the last one is not far behind. I gotta assume working for Schnieder is not all it could be.

The new drives are built by Toshiba as I recall but I only have one of those and it's new so I can't comment on their abilities there except to say its carrier whine is WAY louder than the Altivar 71 was and there is no fixing that.

From 1998 it is build by Toshiba Schneider Inverter Corporation. It is joint venture. Once it was really good product, now is somehow sh**ty.

Regarding carrier whine it should be parameter SFr ( [Complete settings] ->[Motor parameters] ->[Switching frequency]). This is for model 930, but should be similar for other models also.

Mine (22 of them) are from 2009 and were Telemecanique rebranded to SquareD - the current line (630 I think? - could be wrong) is Toshiba built.

I'm familiar with the carrier freq setpoint - but changing it only makes it worse. I expect the waveform is has a faster risetime and so just rings so much more.

On the 6xx range there is an option to randomize the carrier frequency over a range. You still hear it of course, but it's less annoying.