Amplifying 0-250mV signal to 0-10V signal

mizuan

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know any method or any device that I can use in order to amplify the 0-250mV signal to 0-10V signal to be feed into PLC analogue input card

Thanks
mizuan

Signal Conditioner. You also need display to program it.
This one has a 2-point calibration. Set the input for 0-1 Volt. Output to 0-10 Volts.
Then do 2-point calibration. From the manual:

Two-point process calibration: The unit can be process-calibrated in 2 points
to fit a given input signal. A low input signal (not necessarily 0%) is applied
and the actual value is entered. Then a high signal (not necessarily 100%) is
applied and the actual value is entered. If you accept to use the calibration,
the unit will work according to this new adjustment. If you later reject this
menu point or choose another type of input signal the unit will return to
factory calibration.

What is the device? Generic analog isolators tend to be pretty limited on their ability to zero out a signal.

Keith
Admit I haven't used one. Top of the line from Automation Direct. Made in Italy by Morsettitalia S.p.A. Model 884114.

Started off looking for a better answer than lmgtfy. Signal Conditioner is a better search term. Then discovered it wasn't easy to go from 250mV to 10V with dip switch types.

How critical is this 'signal' to anything related to safety, security, up-time...?
How difficult will it be to make ZEROING adjustments.
How many do you require?
Is cost a kill-factor?
Does it have to scale exactly or is 'close-enough' good enough?

I use OpAmps to do this everyday.
TL081 or LM741 with associated components will do the job.
Use the BALANCE pins to get ZERO out for ZERO in.
The feedback components can get you the gain you need.

OH! SORRY, I forgot to ask you about YOUR ELECTRICAL CREDENTIALS and whether you are QUALIFIED TO HANDLE ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS!:eek:
@OP, J/K
@ others, you know who you are... just thought that I should assuage your penchant for pedantry.

Last edited:
Sorry, keithkyll. I didn't mean "signal conditioner" when I said device. I meant the source of the 250mV signal from the OP. I was certainly not clear about that.

The reason I bring this up is that 250mV just happens to be close to the max output of most web tension load cells that use a semiconductor strain gage and a 10VDC excitation. In those applications you are often trying to zero out a significant percentage of the load cells maximum output. Some if not most if the generic signal conditioners/isolators I have come across will only let you zero out about 5-10% of the max output. that is often not enough in web tension loadcell applications. Many of the purpose built load cell amplifiers will allow the user to zero out as much as 90% of the max output.

Keith

Sorry, keithkyll. ... Some if not most if the generic signal conditioners/isolators I have come across will only let you zero out about 5-10% of the max output.
Keith
That's what I was seeing too. That's why I chose the digital model with 2 point calibration.
If it's a load cell, then that's a different story. With devices that require excitation, then I agree with you, and insist on a conditioner that is built specifically for that. The critical part is the excitation voltage. Must be rock steady.

That's what I was seeing too. That's why I chose the digital model with 2 point calibration.
If it's a load cell, then that's a different story. With devices that require excitation, then I agree with you, and insist on a conditioner that is built specifically for that. The critical part is the excitation voltage. Must be rock steady.

Agreed....or, at a minimum, excited by a 4-wire excitation circuit-which makes it steady.