Analog Output 1771-IFE/A Configuration

JamesWSY

I used AB 1771-IFE/A and existing ch0 and ch1 used for diff current input. I want to setup ch2 and ch3 for diff volt (0-10V) input. How to setup the bit on BTW to 0-10v input?
Thank you for suggestion or idea.
James

Read A/B Publication 1771-6.5.90 - config info starts on page 2-9 (page 21 in acrobat) ...

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1771-um665_-en-p.pdf

Edit: I just reread your post. You need info about the configuration bits in the BTW? It's all in the same manual. You should be able to use the I/O config utility in RSLogix (if it's a PLC5) to view and edit the data tables in the PLC and send updates to the module. This method presents the config and scaling data in an easy to read format and lets you adjust and send changes as well as document dipswitch settings. I can give you more details if this applies to your machine...

Paul C.

Last edited:
Greetings James,

short answer ...

I’m not sure that I understand your question ... if I do understand correctly, then the answer is that the RSLogix5 software will set the proper configuration bits for you ...

longer answer ...

are you using RSLogix5 for this? ... and if so, are you familiar with the “Module Configuration” tools under the “IO Configuration” feature? ... if so, then you should be able to get to this screen ...

ifesetup.JPG

basic idea: once you’ve filled in this screen with your desired values, the software will automatically calculate the required bit settings to configure the IFE module for you ...

and be SURE to note the information that I’ve circled in red ... specifically, the IFE modules have INTERNAL JUMPERS that must be correctly positioned to select between “differential” and “single-ended” modes ... and also between “current” and “voltage” signals ... please post again if you need help with these “jumper” ideas ...

and please note that the scaling values on my chart are just examples ... if you need to post again, please tell us EVERYTHING possible about how you want ALL of your IFE channels to be set up and scaled ... it would also be very helpful to know ALL of the information included in your “configuration” Block Transfer Write instruction ...

WARNING! ... if you’ve never opened this particular part of the software before, there is a TRAP! which can really mess things up if you aren’t careful ... please read this post before you continue ...

I hope this helps ... please post again if I’ve misinterpreted your question ... I’ll be glad to try again ...

PS Edit ... looks like OkiePC beat me to the punch ... sorry for the repetition ... must type faster ... must type faster ...

Last edited:
Thanks for reply.
I used RSLogix5 and BTW/BTR configuration R/G/M is 0/4/1, using 16 slots chassis and 1 slot addressing. The 1771-IFE/A located on slot 10 (count from 0). I try to open BTR/BTW screen, "no module exist in i/o configuration". I/O configuration only use 4 slot chassis.How to set inside jumper for diff voltage?
James

so who can you trust? ...

Greetings James,

something is wrong here ... is this a currently working system, or a new one that you’re just putting together?

... configuration R/G/M is 0/4/1, using 16 slots chassis and 1 slot addressing. The 1771-IFE/A located on slot 10 (count from 0).

there are “issues” with the address you’ve given ... specifically, “Rack 0” would be the local rack ... the one with the PLC-5 processor in it ... with “1-slot” addressing, all modules (including your 1771-IFE module) must have a “Module” designator of “0” ... you listed a “1” for this designator ... so if your program IS functioning properly, then something doesn’t add up correctly ...

plan of attack:

access this screen from the “Processor Status” feature ...

trust.JPG

IF (that’s a BIG IF) the PLC-5 processor IS INDEED located in the same rack with your 1771-IFE, then the "trusted/circled" highlighted setting will tell us for sure what addressing mode you’re using ... if it really is set for “1-slot” then I’m highly suspicious that the BTW/BTR instructions that you’re looking at are NOT for the 1771-IFE ... how many BTW instructions do you have in this program? ...

tip: don’t “number” your slots in any future posts ... instead “letter” them A-B-C-through-Q starting with the processor’s slot on the far left as “A” ... this will remove any ambiguity that results from the different 1-slot, 2-slot, 1/2-slot modes ...

I’ll only be online for another hour or so ... I’m sure someone else can help you ... but I’ll try to nail down the rest of your questions while you work on this part ...

book on setting the jumpers ...

Greetings James,

the instructions on how to set the jumpers are in this manual starting on Page 2-9 ... if you need more help than this, post again and I’ll try to nail it down for you tomorrow ...

side note: James is working with an oldie-but-goodie 1771-IFE/A module ... the manual for that (and its also oldie cousin the 1771-IFE/B) is linked above ... for anyone in the future who needs the book for the newer 1771-IFE/C, instructions on setting the jumpers for that model begin on page 2-3 of this manual ... and yes, they're different

so what “letter” slot (A-through-Q) is your 1771-IFE located in? ... and also, is there a PLC-5 processor located in the “A” slot of the same chassis? ... and what mode (1-slot, 2-slot, 1/2-slot) are you using in the IFE’s chassis? ... be sure to base this on the “Processor Status - Switches” screen and NOT on the I/O Configuration screen ... remember that this only works if the processor and the IFE are located in the SAME chassis ... if they’re not, then we’ll have to go further to nail this all down ...

sorry ... but I’ve got to run for today ... hope you’ve got it all finished and working by the time I get back online tomorrow ...

Last edited:
If the block transfers already exist, you can get to the module config screen even though you get the warning "no module exist in i/o configuration" warning. This often occurs when the program was originally written prior to RSLogix or was uploaded and saved as a new file without confi data.

Double click on I/O config, then double click on the first entry under adapter. (it should show your processor model number correctly) Edit the entries to match your system and hit okay. Be sure to choose the correct addressing type and chassis type.

PLC5_IO_cfg_1.jpg

Next, doulble click on the chassis under Chassis Type in the I/O config.

PLC5_IO_cfg_2.jpg

That will open up a list of the slots in that chassis. Next, add the IFE module to the correct slot by double clicking on the field in the Module Type column where it belongs. This opens up a dialog that lets you choose the module from a list.
Once the module type is listed in the I/O config, double click it and you will get this screen:

PLC5_IO_cfg_3.jpg

Just hit the Done button. (DON'T HIT AUTO PICK!)

You'll get this error message, but don't worry, here comes the strange but cool part:

PLC5_IO_cfg_4.jpg

Click OK to acknowledge the error, and you'll get another one.

PLC5_IO_cfg_5.jpg

Hit Okay again. Now double click on the module again, and presto, you get a message that makes sense asking you if data already exists. Answer yes, since there is already block transfer logic written with dta tables assigned.

Now, magically, you're in the module config screen without having to manually search for and enter the correct address details. RSLogix5 will find them for you, once you're familiar with the odd way in which this happens. Save the file so, next time, it'll take you straight there without having to go through all these hoops.

PLC5_IO_cfg_6.jpg

thank you, OkiePC ... I was hoping that I wouldn't have to type all of that up tomorrow ...

my biggest concern in all of this is that James MIGHT be barking up the wrong tree ... those addresses that he gave are really bothering me ... still ... if he gets those issues nailed down, then your excellent advice should get him home free ...

thanks again ...

JamesWSY said:
Thanks for reply.
I used RSLogix5 and BTW/BTR configuration R/G/M is 0/4/1, using 16 slots chassis and 1 slot addressing. The 1771-IFE/A located on slot 10 (count from 0). I try to open BTR/BTW screen, "no module exist in i/o configuration". I/O configuration only use 4 slot chassis.How to set inside jumper for diff voltage?
James

A 16 slot chassis configured for 1 slot addressing is two logical racks (0 and 1 for the main rack), so the eleventh slot (counting form 0 to 10) would be logical rack 1, group 2, slot 0. R/G/M 0/4/1 in your post indicates that it is 2 SLOT addressing, then that would correspond to the 10th slot. (number nine counting from 0). The module number is always 0 with 1 slot addressing. Don' ttrust what RSLogix tells you about the addressing mode. Some of the stuff in RSLogix is solely for documentation purposes, and may not reflect reality! Change the RSLogix I/O config to match what you really have based on the dipswitch settings and other documentation.

OkiePC said:
Some of the stuff in RSLogix is solely for documentation purposes, and may not reflect reality! Change the RSLogix I/O config to match what you really have based on the dipswitch settings and other documentation.

Nevermind the dipswitches,

access this screen from the “Processor Status” feature ...

trust.JPG

IF (that’s a BIG IF) the PLC-5 processor IS INDEED located in the same rack with your 1771-IFE, then the "trusted/circled" highlighted setting will tell us for sure what addressing mode you’re using ... if it really is set for “1-slot” then I’m highly suspicious that the BTW/BTR instructions that you’re looking at are NOT for the 1771-IFE ... how many BTW instructions do you have in this program? ...

Do what Ron said here. That's the easiest, smartest way (as usual, thanks Ron).

Thank you for reply.

From switch setting, i found 2 slot addressing and reconfigure 1771-ife and it works but I have unstable reading on channel 3, if turned potensiometer to 5 volts and the reading is 2048 but not stable. Any idea?
James

sometimes it helps to "ground" the low side (negative) of the DC power supply ... I've seen some people make this type of connection through a resistor ... something like 1K or 100K ... the basic idea is to "bleed off" any stray "floating" signals ...

Keep the pot wiring away from power sources especially variable speed motor controllers.

Use shielded wiring also and connect the drain/shield at one end only. Use as few terminations as possible, bypassing terminal strips if practical.

DOUBLE CHECK THE MANUAL BEFORE DOING THIS: If you have any unused channels on the same analog input card, I believe they should be jumpered to common.

If all this doesn't help, you can look into the digital filtering capabilites of the IFE.