Analog output to use PWM

NicoDemon

Hello Guys,

I am trying to program a 1762-OF4 to control some outputs that pulse at a very high rate dependant on the speed of the product that is being feed to the outputs. This is my first try using a PID loop so I am a bit green.

Any suggestions or examples would be great. (y)

Hello Guys,

I am trying to program a 1762-OF4 to control some outputs that pulse at a very high rate dependant on the speed of the product that is being feed to the outputs. This is my first try using a PID loop so I am a bit green.

Any suggestions or examples would be great. (y)

You're going to have to give a lot more information to get any kind of decent help. What kind of outputs? Title says "analog" which is what your 1762-OF4 card is for, but you mention "pulsing" the outputs. Pulsing implies rapid on/off control, which would require digital, not analog outputs.

What kind of device are you trying to control, and what kind of feedback will you use? We will need at least that much to tell you whether or not PID is even a good idea.

ok, sorry for the lack of description.

I am trying to control 9 water sprayers that currently use their own "black box" as a controller but instead I want to use a Micrologix PLC as we have several issues with the vendors "box" and support.

The output to pulse the sprayers, needs to be adjustable depending on the speed of the conveyor that is feeding the product to the sprayer and also dependant on the amount of pressure being supplied to the sprayers.

The sprayes are 24vdc solenoid actuated. The conveyer is using a VFD. and the pump pressure switch is using a analog output.

thanks.

What does "very high rate" mean? One man's slow is another man's fast. You need to figure out the Hz.

You also have to figure out how much current the solenoids take to operate. PLC outputs are generally pretty limited when it comes to driving solenoids directly. The Black Box may be providing higher current than your PLC output can. You may need to add solid state relays between the outputs and the coils.

I actually use PLC analog outputs for driving a PWM signal regularly in one of my OEM products. So I might be able to steer you in the right direction.

As the others said, you need to be aware of your interface capabilities. Also, the "high rate" must be in the slew rate capability of the output card. (My application required a period of 0.7 seconds, which works fine with a 1769-OF2) You'll need to do your homework to see if your period and the capabilities of the card (and MicroLogix backplane) are a feasible match to the interface circuitry needs.

All interface problems aside, this is what I did to create a fairly high speed PWM: I used an equation (in my case a PID) to define a percent output to the process I was trying to control. That's fairly easy. Then a I made a free running timer with the preset defined as the period of the PWM. Scale the percent output of the PID to the period of PWM to get a duty cycle in units of time.

A greater than (or less than depending on what you need) then compares the duty cycle time to the accumulator of the timer. The result should be a digital response that switches the analog output from the minimum output value to the maximum output value you require. 0 to 10 volts, whatever you need.

This way the duty cycle changes how much your sprayers apply in a relationship to the speed of the conveyor, amount of pressure, whatever you need. You'll need to define this relationship as part of your solution, it may be a PID solution, or it may be a calculation which is linear or nonlinear depending on your inputs of conveyor speed and the pressure available to the sprayers.

A standard PLC is too slow for PWM, have a look at an arduino, simple but that one does have PWM outputs.(and as it has analog inputs you can use it as converter (you can even use the PLC as control by using long periods as inputs and short as outputs.

BTW a standard solenoid is impossible to open with PWM.

I am trying to control 9 water sprayers that currently use their own "black box" as a controller
What is inside the black box - variable speed pump, SCR IC chip, solenoid, relay, solid-state relay, or what?