Any ideas on a clean, simple, event-based data storage/trending/reporting package?

IPSI John

We have an application where data (6 temperatures per machine for 4 machines) needs to be stored only when a cleaning & sterilization takes place on the machine.

The 4 machines are all controlled by SLC5/01's with an existing DH-485 network. Of course there are other control options, but we'd like to work with the existing control system versus replacing it.

The data needs to be accessible not by selecting a time and signal, but based on an event (ie select '2009-06-03 13:17 Line A Cleaning' in a drop-down menu, not select these tags and select this time range in a historical trend display).

Then the data display needs to mimic as closely as possible a chart-recorder printout since that is what the operators and QC folks are used to looking at. The data would also need to be able to print cleanly.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Is there some bit/signal in the plc that would indicate that the cleaning cycle is starting ?

I could easily write a VB program that will poll the plc's and then when that signal happens, start recording data, store it on disk, and then be able to display as you have described.

Have you got the data display or not ?

If not apart from the above post you could put a redlion G3 hmi on the dh485 network and do exactly what you want (not sure on printing though). The data can be logged to a pc over ethernet or to a cf card. This data could then be opened in excel for printing etc. You can easily program trend screens for the data also.

There is a separate binary signal for each machine indicating the cleaning cycle is active.
Our preference is an off-the-shelf PC-based system.

What type of equipment?

I see you post "cleaning and sterilizing", which leads me to believe they are under some sort of regulatory body. Make sure whatever recording solution you provide, adheres to the recording requirements of the regulatory body. For example, we're FDA regulated, so when I collect electronic critical factor data and an electronic signature is attached to that data, I need to adhere to 21 CFR Part 11. (arguably).

Greg

widelto-
Thanks for the heads up on Sytech. It looks like it will work.
Greg-
Thanks for the heads up on 21 CFR Part 11. I'll see what FDA requirements the end user has on that process for electronic data storage. They just have a chart recorder per machine now, but I don't know if they are officially signed off on. I'll find out and comply accordingly.

I had a good luck with Sytech as a data/batch reporter and Canary Labs trending for historical trending. Actually Canary Labs are formed partnership with Sytech and now they are selling complete package- trending and data reporting. The package consist of 2 parts - Canary and Sytech , but runs of one single Historian (canary labs). Total price for 100 tags somewhere about 3.5k and I couldn't find any better price on a market. The trending part is perfect and pretty flexible. Data reporting runs off excel and not a big deal to configure.
Recommend

Last edited:
You could do a nice job with all your stated requirements with FactoryPMI.

21CFR11, if you really want to follow it, is a huge ordeal (read pain) with any vendor. This is because there is a lot that can only be dealt with by procedure/policy, and includes things like: testing, auditing, reporting/certification, two person integrity, etc. There are also requirements clearly dreamt up by policymakers who've never touched a real system. I wrote a white paper addressing issues when creating such a project with Inductive Automation software. I'd be happy to help you with individual 21CFR11 points/questions, regardless of the implementation path you choose.