Automatic Blending Software upgradation

We are using S7 400 siemens PLC for automatic Blending and an old version computer with windows NT Operating System. Now we would like to upgrade our system with another software. Is it possible. We dont have technical data related with our existing Blending Software. Without changing Hardware, is it possible to upgrade software only with latest computer available? To Whom we can contact for assistance? We have total 200 I/Os.

We are ready to give more details about our blending system. Those who know more pls reply to me.

thanks and best regards,
rajagopalmullassery.

Not sure I understand.

You have a S7-400 PLC, which model?

What does the NT computer do?? is this some sort of SCADA system??

S7-4xx PLC controlling a blending process with a SCADA system running on a NT PC, is this correct, if so what is the SCADA software?

Dear Mr. PeterW,
SCADA System running on a NT PC,and having 8 number of graphics, to monitor Blending Process.Its an automatic Batch Blending Software with Blend Order Management functions.The SQL Server repository of all blend orders and blend results with interface to a Blend Planner Spreadsheet.Possible to start/stop pumps, open/close valves with the keypad or mouse.Blending Kettle content weight monitoring function.
Other Functions
Number of Blenders : 2
Number of Recipes to be configured : 75 to 100
Special functions such as header pressure, temperature control, Hose manifolds and other method of manually lining up blends.
Pigging-back flushing and line clearing procedures.
Premix blend pots for small quantities of specific components or additives.
Routing functions to line up component or finished product Tanks. Open/Close Valves, Start Pumps etc.,
Blend optimization.
Blend report after each batch finish.

Giving details of PLC Hardware below.
PS 407 10A, 407-0KA00-0AA0
CPU 414-2DP,414-2XG02-0AB0
CP 441-1,441-1AA02-0AE0
INTERBUS, 1 BS S7 400 DSC,I-T
AI 8x14 Bit,431-1KF10-0AB0
DI 32xDC24V,421-1BL00-0AA0
CP443-1,421-1BX00-0XE0

Interposing Relay Ratings
Coil:24VDC, Contact : 16A/250V
Weighing transmitter connected to the PLC with J bus Protocol.
I hope you have got an idea about our blending system.

thanks and best regards,
Rajagopal.

Nothing wrong with your PLC, it seems the SCADA is what you want to change, but you have given great detail on your PLC and nothing on the SCADA system.

What system is it.

For recipe handling, you could have almost limitless choice of SCADA systems. Is the one you have upgradeable, I don't know.

You need to find out what you have and then speak to the supplier/developer. How does it link to the PLC, ethernet??

If you went for something new, then wincc, in touch, etc, etc, there's plenty about.

The PLC I would say is fine.

PeterW said:
Nothing wrong with your PLC, it seems the SCADA is what you want to change, but you have given great detail on your PLC and nothing on the SCADA system.

What system is it.

For recipe handling, you could have almost limitless choice of SCADA systems. Is the one you have upgradeable, I don't know.

You need to find out what you have and then speak to the supplier/developer. How does it link to the PLC, ethernet??

If you went for something new, then wincc, in touch, etc, etc, there's plenty about.

The PLC I would say is fine.
We are using Wonderware in touch version 6.0b for reciepe handling, controling and monitoring the batch blending. We want to upgrade the system as well as Operator workstation. what i have to do to upgrade the software. Can u help me pls.

rajagopal.

You could use any of the following: wonderware intouch, rsview32, netscada, citech, wincc. These are just scada software platforms that will interface to your current controller I/O. You can get intouch with any of the vendors, they will be able to get you in touch with a system integrator in your area.

nswu1 said:
You could use any of the following: wonderware intouch, rsview32, netscada, citech, wincc. These are just scada software platforms that will interface to your current controller I/O. You can get intouch with any of the vendors, they will be able to get you in touch with a system integrator in your area.
At present we are using wonderware in touch version 6.0b. I want to upgrade version 6.0b to wonderware latest version. i would like to know about latest version wonderware software. How can i take back up from the Engineering PC? I dont have step 7 software for siemens PLC S7 400. Without step 7 software is it possible to take a back up from PLC? I want to upgrade the system anyway, bcz this old pc with NT operating system will not work more.For upgradation what are the informations I have to provide to the vendor?

If you don't have the programming software then you cannot back-up, simple as that really.

The Step 7 system you have is not a problem, you won't make much of an improvement on that, perhaps the latest revisions are a little faster, I would suggest you would make no gains replacing it.

The SCADA it seems you want to change purely because its NT. I have used In Touch 6.0B and would say it is capable of doing what you need, as far us changing your system to the latest operating system, I would say contact your local Wonderware rep and see whats available, I would have thought that the software you have would be convertable to the latest version, this may be the easier option and make any enhancements once this has been done.