Automation direct analog card f4-08thm-j

HARVEY

AUTOMATION DIRECT ANALOG CARD need to find out how to access status bits on analog card F4-08THM-J. Should have short circuit and burn out thermocouple diagnosis. Where are the bits?

With the 2xx series, you access everything through the PID screen in Directsoft. Bits are explained in PID section of manual. You set the starting address in Directsoft. Assume the same for 4xx series?

Short circuit will give you ambient temperature. If I remember correctly burnout will give you a reading of 8000. As far as I know there are no 'bits' for the F4-THM-x card.

Edit: Nope Keith, the DirectLogic 405 is a totally different beast analog wise. The rest of the programming is similar to the DL205 though.

Last edited:
Automation direct analog card f4-08thm-j Reply to Thread

I have look in the manual and every place else. From what I am reading there is bit that will go true if the thermocouple is unplugged. At this time the temp will go low when you unplug it. Not sure of how to find this bit. Am sure it has to do with the addressing. Sorry for not asking the smart way and I have a desk full of bits, just not the right ones.

Last edited:
Let's try this again.

The F4-08THM is a totally different module that is much newer and acts completely different than the F4-08THM-J. It has bits for burnout, etc. The F4-08THM-J does not. I am 100% sure on this.

If the module is shorted you will get ambient temperature. I am 100% positive on this.

If the module is in burnout you should get a reading of 8000. This I am reasonably sure of (90%+), but I don't have a module at hand to test with.

This should be fairly easy for you to test.

The F4-08THM-J uses 16 bits of input address:
bits 0-11: temperature data in whole degrees
bits 12-14: channel being reported
bit 15: I don't remember. Maybe sign bit.

Open channel (burnout) reading was 4095 (0xFFF)

When I used the F4-08THM-J, I always used "binary" format in degrees F. I don't recall what bit 15 was used for. It may have been the sign bit, but my systems never had readings less than zero degrees.
I think that jumpers were available to set units (F or C) and format (binary vs BCD). I am not sure about the jumpers. I always used Fahrenheit and binary format.