Automation Engineer/Technologist Search

We have hired 8 people in the past 2 years. Most of them came via the word of mouth route. 2 did not work out (demonstrated ability/performance did not match with stated ability). We are able to tolerate mistakes, and less than optimal productivity and speed, for a while. It is that weird arrogance that is not backed up with actual ability that has been the killer. We cannot tolerate dishonesty and argumentative personality types as the position does require interaction with clients.

I dont understand what is argumentative personality, could you explain it? (dreaded language barrier!;)

What kind of tests do you use to test personality, do you use one? If not, that could lead to better hit rates with recruits. Do you aim only on experienced or do you try to get fresh from school people too?

How often it is that person you do think would work does not take the job?

Argumentative personality - while I can't speak for the OP, I'd bet that one/both of the Argumentative Personalities were on a job site and got into a fight or strongly disagreed with the customer, and the customer came back to the project manager and said "I dont like this guy because he won't do what we want, send someone else"- a big black eye for the integrator/PLC company.

I can't count the number of times I've seen this. Even if the customer wants an S-class machine for an A-class price (don't they all?), the bad customer service aspect can cost a lot more money than 10 new systems...

I don't know how you find this out in an interview.

-John

Argumentative personality - while I can't speak for the OP, I'd bet that one/both of the Argumentative Personalities were on a job site and got into a fight or strongly disagreed with the customer, and the customer came back to the project manager and said "I dont like this guy because he won't do what we want, send someone else"- a big black eye for the integrator/PLC company.

I can't count the number of times I've seen this. Even if the customer wants an S-class machine for an A-class price (don't they all?), the bad customer service aspect can cost a lot more money than 10 new systems...

I don't know how you find this out in an interview.

-John
Pretty much spot on. Some progrsammer types just dont seem to get that out in the field, you are the company representative providing a service function. The arrogant "This is the way it is going to happen" attitude is a fast way out the door and like you say leaves a lingering stain on the integrator company's reputation.

Pretty much spot on. Some progrsammer types just dont seem to get that out in the field, you are the company representative providing a service function. The arrogant "This is the way it is going to happen" attitude is a fast way out the door and like you say leaves a lingering stain on the integrator company's reputation.

One thing you may want to do also to prevent this is tell the service guy how he is supposed to repond to this. We tell our guys that when the customer asks for "extras" that if it was not part of the orginial scope of work it costs extra. We also tell them if it is in the "gray" area...IE the scope description sucks... Then to tell the customer that he (service tech) will call the office and see what he can do.

With intergration this can be a real pain. I have customers all the time who think they want one thing then decide that later they really want something else.

As far as finding people. You really have to try the person out. Interviewing and screening only ever tell you a small part of what that person can do and almost never tell you about their personality.

We use Craigslist also. Monster tends to be just a big headache.

Go to recruiters. You'll pay a price if they place someone but they can get you qualified candidates sooner than later. Plus most have some sort of guarantee and can do the leg work for you.

I gave specific skill set info to them, simple yes/no basically said great candidates will answer "yes" to 90% of what I am asking, good if 75%.

Also, remote workers...hard to get people to relocate unless big $$$$ is involved.

Although I consider myself a good judge of character, I don't think there is an ethical way to determine whether someone is argumentative or not within the space of an interview.

Especially without a pool of candidates to perform a group-interview with.

what type of PLC's do you use? AB siemens mitsubishi? Can this work be done via email and connecting to a VPN.....i would be available for the ammount of travel you suggested if i could remain here and do all the work needed at my home. i live in NJ and would LOVE the change as i been here all my life......im 26 but am stuck as i take care of my mother who has cancer.

How about taking on someone for the office based work and then having an outside contractor such as myself for site work?
Companies i have worked for in the past have found that good programmers are not too difficult to find but finding one who can deal with customers and is prepared to be away from home is less easy.

WOW! sounds very interesting "Is there noone here who might be interested? I will be trying Craigslist also. Education requirements are less important in this case than attitude and a willingness to learn and work with our team. "

I am a lady yet I am interested in this field of work. I know my experience is not that much but reading this post in this circulation give me a hint that maybe when time comes and I earned more experiences and confident, I would pursue. Yes, attitude is more important than any skill and of course, must be added with an interest.

Hope you could find.

sheryl