Balluff BNI Modules

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a Conveyor System Running Balluff Remote Ethernet blocks
Topography has ethernet going through Master-2 to Master-1
(BNI EIP-502-105-Z015)
Master-1 has 4 slave blocks (BNI IOL-302-000-Z012)
Slave Block #4 on this has what appears to be only the top half of each
M-12 I/O connector working.
I changed out slave with new one and get one light for the only input associated with this slave and outputs are not working.
I will swap back original and see if I get back to 1/2 working.
I can Ping master and look at its web page.
Does the RS5000 (Compact Logix 5380) set everything I need except IP?
or do I need to address something ? I dont see anything in the manuals.
I changed some bits in the program to get it to run loads through this Zone and move to the next but have been running like that and I was hoping new blocks and cables would find a cure.

I replaced the New Slave #4 I tried with the original one and I am back to square 1 with half of the Slave module not reacting, seems like some ports are not responding
and others are. the program shows it is outputting to the motor starters
some work and others not at I/O slave

Here is a PDF of what's not working. Looking at program live the program thinks it is outputting to this Balluff

Anyone have any ideas, can't see how the Slave gets addressed to the Master
or why when I change out the slave I have no inputs or outputs working on that slave.
I thought all that was already set up in the PLC with the Balluff AOI.

roxusa,

i'm not quiet sure of your topology and i am doing this from memory.
from your ethernet switch you go to a balluff master switch.
that master switch can have 8 slave blocks.
you must set the ip information in the master block.
you then set up the block in the io config section of the plc program.

in the plc program, you must define the master block ports.
this is for I/O, analog. you have ports 0..7 so you will have 8 configuration parts for that master, 0..7
if you add a slave module to a port 2, you must add the configuration part of that slave under the main port 2. you will then have ports 1..8. slaves are configured as ports 1 to 8 if i am not mistaken. when you comment the program section, document each master port, then when you add the slave, document the slave ports.

each slave port will have two parts.
for example, you added an 8 port slave to port 2.
so for port 2, you can have 16 inputs.
port 1 on the slave will be addressed as 2.0.0 (input 0) and 2.0.1 (input 1)
2.0.0 will be pin 2 and 2.0.1 will be pin 4.
port 1 will then be 2.1.0 and 2.1.1, then port 2 will be 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 and so on.
i was unable to take my notes with me from another job, so i am doing this from memory.

each balluff AOI is configured for a particular block.
AND, and this is important !!
AOI series 1 for a dc input card may NOT work for a series 3 card of that same number
and a series 3 aoi may not work for a series 1 card.
WE had that issue where i user do work. the controls engineer had to make his own AOI.

if i am incorrect, someone please correct me.

hope this helps,
james

Thanks
I see the AOI for these in the program and figured my problem was a bad slave.
I don't understand if you change a module Master you set the IP and everything else
is set in the program with AOI ? Conveyor did run and I am frustrated that a new
Slave gave nothing and the old one has outputs missing. I can access the program but not
that versed on these AOI's This Master has 4 Slaves the other 3 are fine.
Im working on getting them their OEM but I changed a few addresses and got them 5 of 7 lines . Ill wait till I can get back to this one (read manual again)