Beckhoff PC CX2020 Program Upload

epicnote

Hello All,

I am not familiar with Beckhoff PLC. Is it possible to upload the program from the controller for backup purpose? I noticed in the manual doesn't state the procedure to upload the program. If can upload, is there any procedure or manual that I can refer to?

Thanks in advance.

You cant upload it directly if the sourcecode is not loaded to the controller. But you can take the compiled version of code just take copy of the boot folder from controller. It contains non editable version of current program and system configuration.

That's how it goes on twincat 2 and i think it works twincat 3 too.

Or just make copy of cfcard to another cfcard.

Last edited:
You cant upload it directly if the sourcecode is not loaded to the controller. But you can take the compiled version of code just take copy of the boot folder from controller. It contains non editable version of current program and system configuration.

That's how it goes on twincat 2 and i thinknit works twincat 3 too.
Do u have any idea if using Twincat 3?

As i edited below, cx2020 boots from cfast card and taking backup of that also works for backup purposes.

And if the sourcecode is loaded to controller then you can upload it File->Open->Open project from target. Works both tc2 and tc3

If you cant load it that way theres no way to get the actual sourcecode from controller. Only the compiled is available then.

Last edited:
As i edited below, cx2020 boots from cfast card and taking backup of that also works for backup purposes.

And if the sourcecode is loaded to controller then you can upload it File->Open->Open project from target. Works both tc2 and tc3

If you cant load it that way theres no way to get the actual sourcecode from controller. Only the compiled is available then.
Nice. Can i take out the cfast card from the controller during Run mode?

That's how it goes on twincat 2 and i think it works twincat 3 too.

Or just make copy of cfcard to another cfcard.
how we can know that the sourcecode is not loaded in the controller? last time i have tried to use "Broadcast Search" in Edit Route. However, I can't see the controller

If you try to open from solution from target, and your PLC folder of solution only show MAIN Instances and not POU's and stuff like this then there is no source available, there is a chance that these source files are added manually. If it is done by manually then you have to look locally on the controller files and search the project files.

Mostly OEM builders don't download the sources to the controller.