Best GPRS Modem/router/ for IOT

eababio

Hi all,
when using a PLC like micro850 for allen bradely to develop IOT applications,
which is the best modem or router to use and also which is the best cloud service to use for control and monitoring of the PLC.

Hi,**** is on the expensive side though.is there anything a bit cheaper for simple applications?Cos some of these PLCs are about $300 so the router or modem should be around the same price.

Last edited:
features determine price. my favorite is sierra wireless, but there are tons out there from very cheap to very expensive.

Am I allowed to ask why e W o n is censored? Odd.

I've used the Pheonix Contact 2314008, and the Red Lion SN6901AT. Both work fine, Red Lion seems to have more features and is cheaper. Both probably too expensive for you though.

2nd that "features determine price." Look at DIN rail mount wifi anything, minimum $500 when in reality it should be probably $80-$100.

Am I allowed to ask why e W o n is censored? Odd.

When I asked, I was told that back in the day some distributor somewhere was spamming the forum. Not them directly. I assume they've stopped by now, not sure why it couldn't be uncensored.

Hi,**** is on the expensive side though.is there anything a bit cheaper for simple applications?Cos some of these PLCs are about $300 so the router or modem should be around the same price.

There is a lot more to it then just the hardware box.
How are you going to connect to it? You need a service. If you dont need a service then you can set up a fanless windows pc and put VPN software on it.

$300 is not realistic.

e W O N for example includes FREE VPN service which gives you free access to multiple sites. They give you a monthly data allowance. You can use any web browser to view your HMI, Remote Desktop, or PLC web page from anywhere in the world. They maintain a worldwide network of servers and the infrastructure to support this service. All that costs money. If you want the capability, be prepared to spend some money on a proven, reliable, prepackaged solution. You can cheap out on the hardware and spend 5 times more on custom development and programming time. Some people go that route and it takes them a few times to understand the value behind some solutions as well as the behind the scenes effort required to achieve them.

Thanks for your comments. i agree **** is good. my problem is that some clients might not understand why they have to spend so much for a modem especially for simple applications where the PLC is cheap.

will try sierra wireless as well. have never used it. i guess for simple applications the best will be a PLC with a webserver and a modem that can email and sms instead of a cloud service for monitoring.