best networking method for slc 5/05

MNJ96

Lifetime Supporting Member
everyone

i have a new slc 5/05 processor to configure . i have the choice of using bootp or calling my network admin to get settings for a static ip address . which way would be best and why .

thanks in advance

phil buchanan

I would just set up static IP address and gateway from IT Dept.,although I have never used bootp so I can not comment on its use.

BootP is just a utility to assign an IP address.

Your processor needs an IP address. You need to obtain one by calling IT and asking for a static IP address and then manually connecting serially and assigning the IP address your IT department gave you.

Or, you call IT and again ask for a static IP address. Then you use the BootP utility to assign that address (instead of using the serial connection to accomplish this.

Either way, you need a static IP address.

Now, as an alternative, if you want to avoid IT altogether and create your own private network, then assign your own IP address, again either using the serial connection or via BootP. Just make sure that your IP addresses you choose do not conflict with the plant network.

OG