Best Reasonable Priced Dell Computer for Industrial Automation

Rob S.

Our company uses Dell computers. I am trying to get a new laptop for our maintanance dept. They are going to have a wide range of software packages on it, RS Logix 5000 , RS View , etc. I assume alot of USB ports.They don't come with serial ports any longer , do they ? What Dell laptopdo you recommend for a reasonable price.Thanks in advance,

I like my Vostro 3560. I got it with the Core I7 processor, enhanced graphics adapter and backlit keyboard. OS is 64 bit Win 7 Pro. Not a bad package for the price.

You might want to look at the Dell Outlet. You can pick up a refurbished notebook with a full warranty a lot cheaper than new prices.

Dell Latitude E6xxx, I don't know what model they have now. Mine's a E6510.

I have the same and it works reasonably well.

With the Dell Latitudes you can get a mini docking station that gives you serial and a parallel port plus 2 extra USB2 ports.

Search for E-Legacy Extender. Having a real serial port is wonderful for older devices. I think it also works with the M6 series.

I use dell precision M6k series. They have dual hard drives and lots of ram and work great for running multiple VMs but they are pricey

Pricey indeed, but if you can swing one, worth the money.

I tried to pull that off... Oh well.

Couldn't convince them to go for the Lamborghini as my company truck either. ;)

I ordered 10 at once but our plant manager is cool.

( Plant Mgr) will they help you kep my machines running full out?

(Me) Yes Sir.

(Plant Mgr)Make sure you are getting enough. Will 10 be enough for each guy that needs one?

(Me)Including the 4 we purchased before Yes. It will be enough for each guy that I want to have one. The rest would just be dangerous.

I've been using the Vostro 3700 for about 2 years. I just received a few Vostro 3560 units and would swap for one of them in a heartbeat over the larger (17.3") screen on my 3700.

I've used various models of Latitudes for a long time, but the Vostro works just fine for what I need and I am happy with them. I don't think you go wrong with a Latitude or a Vostro. I don't have experience with the higher level models like the Precision line. Those as more desktop replacements and command quite a price premium that many companies won't pay. Nice machines!

I would suggest staying away from the Inspiron line though. They are a bit better now, but I tried one before I got my Vostro and I was thrilled to send it back.

OG

I have been using a Dell Precision M4700 Workstation, i7 with 32gb memory (they spoilt me), it runs Siemens S7 5.5 sp3, WinCC 6 and Flex 2008. it will easily run 3 - 4 WinXP VM's very well. I also use a BrainBox ExpressCard to serial adapter for the serial port inside the VM to connect to the older S5's with no problems. Steve

I have been using the LATITUDE E6400 ATG CORE 2 DUO and am very pleased with it for around 2 granddads. I failed to mention that it also has an aluminum but light weight case.

Last edited:
My latest is an XPS17 - it has the light weight aluminium case as well and the good 17" screen. Fine so far.