Best RS-232 to USB adapter for PLC

@bayeibrahima

What PLC and protocol do you intend to connect to ?
Some PLCs/protocols work with basically any USB-to-serial adapter. Others are more picky.
Maybe there is a chance you can buy one locally.

Hello all,

I am looking to get Serial-to-USB adaptor. I have heard they might cause problems. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Hands Down the best of the best, in my experience, is the B&B Electronics USO9ML2
Really rugged.
Works with everything I've ever connected to it.
Works on the other side of Virtual Machines.
Awesome warranty (I had to use it due to abuse from a customer)

~$200.00, but, if you want good, you have to pay for good.
When you buy inexpensive, it ends up expensive.
Why trifle over such a device that is the difference between being able to do your job, and not being able to do your job...you're never any better than your tools.

I have used the Staples one but had an issue connecting to a Bristol ControlWave Micro in VM that may or may not have been the cable. I now use a Keyspan and have had no trouble with it on anything I have tried it with. Yes, the USB can come out but on the upside it has allowed me to use a longer USB printer cable with it so we'll call it a wash...

Good luck with whatever you end up getting,

Kraken Fan #69

I've found those that use the FTDI chipset to be the most universal. FTDI registers with Windows so that warning about unregisterd devices never pops up and the installation is always straightforward. Since I'm asked to recommend a converter for use with vendor software that still uses serial ports, I'm in the same boat of not wanting to have to support it, and I haven't been asked to, thus far.

The device's chipset is shown in COM port properties driver tab in Windows' Device Manager

2jd3rq0.jpg

I buy internet/mail order from a distributor in New York who offers a USB/RS232 converter because the models use the FTDI chipsets.

http://www.saelig.com/USSP/USSP004.htm

I use the SeaLevel branded one, as I had some non-FTDI compatable issues. And it has the much appreciated 6' cable.

Aten

I have been using the Aten serial adapters without issue connecting to all kinds of serial devices for many years. I think the model is UC232A.

aten-usb-to-serial-p_14004981vb.jpg