Best small Ethernet compact logic PLC

I downloaded Codesys and then contacted tech support to walk me through connecting to the BL20. The guy I talked to which was supposed to be there software guru. Said he would have to call me back. When he did, he walk me through the software to a point of trying to connect. Then he said that the program might be locked by the developer. We went through some more steps. Then he said I couldn't see the program with the software??? After that I was more confused then before.

I downloaded Codesys and then contacted tech support to walk me through connecting to the BL20. The guy I talked to which was supposed to be there software guru. Said he would have to call me back. When he did, he walk me through the software to a point of trying to connect. Then he said that the program might be locked by the developer. We went through some more steps. Then he said I couldn't see the program with the software??? After that I was more confused then before.
I am guessing and will assume he took you through the steps of File->Open->PLC to try to upload the source code. If that failed, then the programmer did not download the source. I find this mostly happens because many CodeSys users do not know the Source Download feature exists and of course sometimes it is because there are the programmers that write "magic code" they do not want anyone else to see. So you end up with something equivalent to a password protected program in an AB PLC.

Personally if it were me, I wouldn't be so quick to dump the BL20, but instead give it a try at writing a new program in CodeSys. When coming from AB, there is a little bit of a learning curve, but I find CodeSys knowledge valuable because most plants I go into now has at least one Codesys based controller whether it's Turck, Wago, Bosch, Beckhoff, Eaton, etc. So it's kind of a bonus that you learn programming for one controller and then you immediately know how to program a large number of different PLCs.

There again this is just me personally, but after I sat down and learned CodeSys, I find that when I go back to AB I am missing all of the tools and features, so it takes about twice as long to write an equivalent program with an AB controller. Don't get me wrong, I like AB PLCs, they have many strengths, but when it comes to programming I think CodeSys is a much more powerful programming environment.

Last edited:
Archie, you are probably right. I will look in to it more to see what I can do. I will just have to learn that software. I guess in away that is the biggest problem. Not knowing the software and hardware.

Well you still need to determine if it is being used as a remote IO block or if it is a standalone controller. I'd assume it is possible there was no source code because it is remote io. But I would agree it is worth learning. And not only does it make you more valuable, it also saves money.

For a small amount of I/O and Ethernet, you may want to consider the Nano-10 from Triangle Research. It's Ethernet port is configured to communicate as ModBus TCP/IP.

More information is available through the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/tri-plc/nano10.htm

It can handle both HSC inputs and PWM outputs. Quite powerful for such a small embedded PLC.

If you are looking to purchase, you will need to purchase the starter kit for your first order in that it includes cables and software.

Disclosure - ESI is an authorized distributor for Triangle Research.

Thanks for the sales pitch but I don't want to bring anything new to the table. I just got maintain what is there or move on to a Allen bradley product.