binary to hexadecimal conversion

jerry859

I am trying to mask the first 8 digits of binary code in a Allen Bradley remote I/O module for alarm tracking puposes. I only need to read the last 8 digits of that 1 word . My problem is that I need to convert that to the equivalent Hexadecimal number. I'm not sure how to convert those first 8 binary digits into the Hexadecimal number. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Jerry

I often use the Windows calculator in "Scientific Mode" to convert decimal/hex/binary or just change the Radix in a tag display in RSLogix.

To "mask out" the lower 8 bits of a 16-bit word, you can use the Masked Move.

1111 1111 0000 0000 binary = FF00 hex = 65280 decimal (unsigned integer) = -256 (signed 16-bit integer)

I only need to read the last 8 digits of that 1 word . My problem is that I need to convert that to the equivalent Hexadecimal number.
Two possibilities: you want the 16-bit Hexadecimal equivalent of an 8-bit hex number, OR you want the 16-bit Hexadecimal equivalent of a 16-bit hex number where the 8 rightmost bits = 0. These two cases are not the same.

Hmh. Where do you need to see them as hex? You know that hex, dec, bin, oct etc. are just way of showing same data? You know that in computers (plc is computer of sort) data is stored as binary but can be shown by different things in one form or other?

BCD to bin, hex, dec, oct etc. would need to convert data itself. But bin to hex does not need. Or is it BCD?

Last edited: