Browse RSLinx OPC to PLC 5/15 crashes RSLinx every time

scotthower

I added several topics to an RSLinx Classic Professional (3.70) installation and was unable to add tags from the topics to Historian SE in FactoryTalk Administration Console. Every time that I browsed to these topics the RSLinx.exe process would fail, and generate an event in the Windows event log. In troubleshooting, I've found that this also happens using the OPC Test Client...not just FTAC. I've been working with tech support - it seems to only happen in my case when I'm browsing to a PLC 5/15. On another machine I setup a stripped down Linx config with only one driver (Ethernet), one IP addresses, and one of the 5/15's as a topic - still fails when browsing. There is a 5/25 on an identical path to one of the 5/15's (just a different node number - goes over Ethernet to an ENBT/A card to a DHRIO module and then to the node).

The title bar shows 'lite' even though there is an activation installed - I don't think that's an issue, though, because I can hit every other topic.

Has anyone ever had an issue with collecting data from a PLC 5/15 using RSLinx?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I heard back from tech support - they were able to duplicate the problem in a test environment. He said he's going to send it to their engineering group and the product manager - I'm not too sure they're going to spend a lot of time accomodating a product that is decades old but I guess I'm satisfied that I've got an answer.