cable tester for devicenet?

mugged99

Does anyone know if there exists a cable tester for devicenet cables for verifying end to end cable integrity? Sort of like how ethernet cables have that fluke tool and how you can do simple loopback testing with serial wires?

If there isn't, anyone have any ideas how you would test integrity of a 5pin dnet cable ? 🍻

It seems like a remember there being a few different devices out there to analyze and troubleshoot Dnet networks, although its been awhile since I last worked with one. A quick google search picked up this: AB 1784-U2DN

It seems like a remember there being a few different devices out there to analyze and troubleshoot Dnet networks, although its been awhile since I last worked with one. A quick google search picked up this: AB 1784-U2DN

Yeah, theres a few of those types of devices that plug into one point in the network but they are all communication or device health checks not really checking the media itself...although I guess if you had a media problem the comms would be rubbish as well. I suppose I was thinking of some device like a fluke tool that you plug into both ends of a cable.

Last edited:
I use an ordinary multimeter to verify continuity through a unpowered or inactive cable set, one pin at a time.

I've used both the FactoryConn DeviceNet Detective and the Brad Harrison/Molex NetMeter to evaluate the signal quality on DeviceNet systems. I prefer the simplicity of the NetMeter, to give me the CAN signal levels that it's seeing from a given slave device. I never got to use the DeviceNet Detective 2.

If you have a Network tester make up adapters for the 5 cores (remember that one of them is the shield) and use that if you wire the adapters pin to pin numbers i.e. 1-5 then there is no reason why this will not work.
You could use many types of adapters for many types of communication cables
Or just use a meter, long cable and someone on the other end.

We use the FactoryConn DeviceNet Detective. Not really intuitive, but with a little reading, and some practice, it won't take down your network as soon as you plug it in. After that bit of learning curve, it works pretty well.

Bubba.