Camera with Storage to Watch Process

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,

We have a customer where we are trying to help diagnose and fix hydraulic leaks. Because of the operator of the machines, we cannot be near the leaks when the machine is in operation. When they shut down, LOTO and we get to the leaks are evident but not their origin. The system is old and has many lines going up and down so puddled oil can come from anywhere above the surface it is sitting on.

Has anyone used a camera to help diagnose issues like this. The environment is such and run time long enough that a regular camcorder from the electronics store will not last. I'm thinking of trying this camera which says it's IP65

https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Starlight-Detection-Compatible-KC420WS/dp/B09SBRB59Z

Anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks

A gopro may be just what you need.

We had a similar issue years ago. They brought in a dry ice blasting company. They sprayed everything with dry ice and shop vacuumed everything up it was clean and easy to see the issues.

I hate GoPros. The battery and storage aren't enough and they are difficult to use compared to other solutions. I would recommend a security system that backs up to a local NAS/storage over Ethernet.

I am looking for a security system for my home too. I have many terabytes of storage at home and at work.

I would start with a more low tech solution, rags. An oily rags means you have a leak.

Over 30 years ago there was a problem in Eregli Turkey with a leak, a steel plant. They couldn't find the leak. When I arrived, I was able to attempt to move the hydraulic system. Someone there could see the oil leaking. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes. It was an easy fix. Then onto other problems.

An oily rag means you have a leak.
Or you drive a steam train.

Or then again if you had a car in the 70s an oily rag was common.
I guess us older folk got used to looking for oil leaks, not like these kids today :) Do they even put oil in Teslas?

I set up a commercial CCTV sytem to monotor processes inside a large robot cell. Standard CCTV cameras tend to have a wide angle of view but you can purchase cameras with longer focal lengths and higher frame rates to focus on specific areas. Will you see a leak? Not sure. Clean everything and see what gets wet first. Check all the joints? inspect seals for weeping?

Nick

Thanks for all the replies so far.

The dry ice cleaning sounds interesting. I assure you all, placing a rag in the machine and waiting for it to get oily isn't going to help with this one. Due to the design of the machine, no one can be anywhere near the leaking areas during operation. Once the machine is shut down and stopped enough for people to enter the area, surfaces are covered in oil and it could be coming from anywhere.

There is years of oil film covering everything. On top of that the process creates a fiber that collects everywhere over time.

I'm going to investigate the dry ice cleaning as that will really help find leaks once everything is clean.

Norm:

We have been using Sick EventCam for situations like this. It can be triggered with a PNP signal and can be set to record video a few seconds before and few seconds after the trigger. The recordings are in MP4 format and are accessible via a built-in web page. The videos are black and white and of not very good quality but it is enough to determine the problem most of the time.

If you can think of some conditions in your system that can serve as a trigger, this device might work for you.

https://www.sick.com/be/en/photoelectric-sensors/photoelectric-sensors/eventcam/c/g474652

The Ubiquiti Unifi protect products gives you quite some bang for your buck if you're going the security cam path. Use the dream machine SE plus a camera of your flavour and you're good to go!

Or you drive a steam train.

Or then again if you had a car in the 70s an oily rag was common.
I guess us older folk got used to looking for oil leaks, not like these kids today :) Do they even put oil in Teslas?

Haha technically some older folks really really didn't like leaks and fixed them for the new gen.