Can a Beckhoff/Twincat/Codesys PLC communicate with an AB1769- L30?

eldo

Currently we have many AB L30s in the field with no network monitoring capability.
In a new project we will be installing BC9000s in many of the places where the L30s reside.

I'm trying to figure out if I can use a BC9000 (Or other Beckhoff product) to communicate with the existing AB hardware.

From what I can tell, the AB controllers are running the DF-1 Full Duplex protocol, and so far I haven't been able to turn up any information one way or the other on this issue.

I believe we could install the AB ethernet link, but the cost is higher than adding an extra 6041 if we stick to the BC KBus cards.

Thanks for any help or direction anyone may offer,
eldo

PS
Beckhoff is our preferred manufacturer for all new projects, which is why I'm limiting myself to beckhoff or AB equipment.

The 1769-L30 has only the two RS-232 ports and they only support DF1, DH485, and ASCII.

Is there a library for support of DF1 using the ordinary KL6001 module ?

The KL6041 is RS-422/485, as far as I know, so you would need a converter just to physically connect with the 1769-L30's RS-232 port.

If I take a step back and look at it, the BC9000 supports TwinCAT ADS and Modbus/TCP protocols on Ethernet.

Look into the Digi One IAP.

It should allow you to send Modbus/TCP messages from the BC9000 that get translated into DF1 Full Duplex (and back), as well as allow you to connect to the 1769-L30 controllers with Rockwell tools like RSLinx.

I would stay away from the BC9000. They are an older line and do have limitations. Look at the newer C8090. It can be loaded with an Ethernet/IP library to make it an adapter to the CompactLogix.

Is there a library for support of DF1 using the ordinary KL6001 module ?

The KL6041 is RS-422/485, as far as I know, so you would need a converter just to physically connect with the 1769-L30's RS-232 port.
Ken, I'm looking for a DF1 library, but haven't found anything yet.
Yes, you're right, the 6041 is a 422/485 and we should have a 232 card floating around somwwhere

If I take a step back and look at it, the BC9000 supports TwinCAT ADS and Modbus/TCP protocols on Ethernet.

Look into the Digi One IAP.

It should allow you to send Modbus/TCP messages from the BC9000 that get translated into DF1 Full Duplex (and back), as well as allow you to connect to the 1769-L30 controllers with Rockwell tools like RSLinx.

The IAP looks like it would work, however this is where some relevant deatils might come in handy. I'm unable to add any further IP devices in the area, they have a hard MAC limit on the switch level, and have categorically refused to allow us to install any switches or up the MAC limit, and I can't see using a small router at so many locations.

However, it may seem that the IAP allows for 2 seperate serial connections, so the IAP will definitely be a consideration.

I would stay away from the BC9000. They are an older line and do have limitations. Look at the newer C8090. It can be loaded with an Ethernet/IP library to make it an adapter to the CompactLogix.

Archie,
Thanks very much for the advice. Talking with our Beckhoff rep a while back, he recommended that we stick with the bc9000 series for a few reasons, including that we have a large install base with very few support staff (1 maybe 2), and most of our projects are small process automation / monitoring of equipment.

The LAN provider where we are has strict regulations about hardware, and they are incredibly wary of putting more embedded windows devices on their network, so it seems that for this project we are unable to use any of the CX lines of products, which were under consideration until very recently. If we were to put embedded windows devices on the network, the would claim them as their devices, and want corp software, A/V, monitoring, etc etc etc on them and I know how sluggish it makes new workstations.

Thank you both for your thoughtful comments, I hope that in the coming weeks to find some sort of solution.

Talking with our Beckhoff rep a while back, he recommended that we stick with the bc9000 series for a few reasons, including that we have a large install base with very few support staff (1 maybe 2), and most of our projects are small process automation / monitoring of equipment.

The LAN provider where we are has strict regulations about hardware, and they are incredibly wary of putting more embedded windows devices on their network, so it seems that for this project we are unable to use any of the CX lines of products, which were under consideration until very recently. If we were to put embedded windows devices on the network, the would claim them as their devices, and want corp software, A/V, monitoring, etc etc etc on them and I know how sluggish it makes new workstations.
I had a customer that was very strict about putting PCs on their network, but we came to agreement that using the WinCE version would be acceptable because they cannot be easily changed or have software loaded on them. This eliminated them from supporting and feeling the need to put their software on it.

The CX8090 just about makes the BC9000 obsolete because you get so much more for only about $100USD more, including EtherCAT support.

Several years ago I had written a DF1 function block for TwinCAT that worked with the EL6001 serial terminal. It was used to exchange data with a SLC500. I would be glad to share it with you, but I can't really support it and there is no documentation, only the sample code using it. It also only supports Bit files and Integer files.

I had a customer that was very strict about putting PCs on their network, but we came to agreement that using the WinCE version would be acceptable because they cannot be easily changed or have software loaded on them. This eliminated them from supporting and feeling the need to put their software on it.

The CX8090 just about makes the BC9000 obsolete because you get so much more for only about $100USD more, including EtherCAT support.

Several years ago I had written a DF1 function block for TwinCAT that worked with the EL6001 serial terminal. It was used to exchange data with a SLC500. I would be glad to share it with you, but I can't really support it and there is no documentation, only the sample code using it. It also only supports Bit files and Integer files.

Going forward, I am planning on trying to sway their minds to allow unadulterated embedded CE on their network, and (hopefully) try to convince them to VLAN all of our controllers as well.

I would very much welcome your sharing of the DF1 fb. If nothing else, it might be a fantastic resource on how to move forward with reading DF1.
So please, yes, share the fb. Was this a TwinCAT 2 or 3 project, do you recall?

If I manage to get something built that works with the BC series, would you be interested in it in return?

Thanks again for all the help