Can Allen Bradley PLC be programmed in C language

Hi

I am looking to convert the code from B&R PLC written in C language to Allen Bradley. Just wondering is there a possiblity that Allen Bradley PLC controllogics in particular can be programmed in C

No.

While there are special application modules available to run C-language programs, Rockwell's ControlLogix operating system only supports the usual IEC ladder-logic, structured text, sequential function chart, and function block diagram langauges.

My company has guys who do both, but in general B&R is a far more sophisticated and low-level platform, and A-B is still intended to be easy to program and diagnose for non-programmers.

I forgot to mention. Pascal is basically structured text and is a simple syntax conversion from the C language.
And Ken Roach is basically the AB Goat here.

When I started out w/ AB, it was my job to read all of the manuals and extract the pertinent details.
It wasn't fun.
But I learned a lot.
Like how the PLC5 40E would set the EN bit on pre scan.
And how you could make false to true instructions run every scan by manipulating the EN bit. The EU bit if it was a LIFO.
Fun memories.

A dead battery in an slc was a nightmare. You had to power down the processor to change out the battery. Whoops.

Hi

I am looking to convert the code from B&R PLC written in C language to Allen Bradley. Just wondering is there a possiblity that Allen Bradley PLC controllogics in particular can be programmed in C

Not knowing your level of expertise in the PLC arena or in regards to the Structured Text (ST) PLC programming language, so I feel compelled to ask -
Are you sure the B&R PLC code is written in C, and not IEC-61131 Structured Text (ST)? There is a difference. Although the B&R PLC can be coded in C++, it would be an unusual case. If it's Structured Text (ST), then the answer is yes, you should be able to just copy/paste the code over (a big advantage to ST) to the AB side (RSLogix 5000)

Last edited:
Rockwell also have a range of PLCs with windows IoT built in. So you could get something to talk between your C code and the plc. Technically it is running on the same hardware. Example of this plc would be the 5069-L430ERMW, but there are some others.

I should say that I have not done this myself before. Seems the only reason to do it would be if a customer demanded Rockwell.

AustralIan, I am intrigued by this statement. Do you mean if a customer sued Rockwell?

No no. I mean, I have not personally used one of their windows
+ PLCs, so cannot comment on the effectiveness of the solution. But, as there are other ways of using C code or even windows OSs in a control system, I imagine the only reason to use this is if a customer says to their Systems Integrator "you must use Rockwell".