Cancelling "String Input Enable"

cipendjr

First Time Poster, please be gentle, lol :)

AB Panelview1000, FactoryTalk V7.0, RSLogix5000
Created object “String Input Enable” button used for operator login with an RFID card reader. The reader is used like a keyboard and plugged into the panelview via usb. In the object properties I’ve selected “Scratchpad” for my pop up setting. My problem is when the Login/ String Input Enable button is pressed I can’t close it/ escape when I don’t have a card to scan. The only way I’ve been able to get out of it is to ESTOP the machine which automatically changes the display to an ESTOP status display. Then I can navigate through the displays.

As far as your Panelview knows, it's just talking to a keyboard. I would try first plugging in a real keyboard and see if you can get the behavior you are looking for, then configure the card reader to send data in the appropriate format. I'd imagine it would involve sending a line break or carriage return.

---
http://theplchub.com