Cannot communicate to 1756-L61S

mustbemad10

I am trying to communicate the my L61S CPU, but Linx will not see it using a Serial or Ethernet connection (via my other module).
The OK indicator is on, but its Solid red. It doesn't flash or anything on startup, just stays a solid red.

I was wondering whether the firmware on the CPU may have been corrupted, so wanted to load the firmware onto a Flash Card, and load the firmware from the Flash Card when the CPU boots.

How can I do this?
I had an email reply from Rockwell saying this could be done, but the link to the page where it says how to do it is locked as I don't have a contract with them! So im hoping someone on here can shine some light on this for me.

BTW, I don't have the 1756-LSP module installed in the rack, is this necessary for the CPU to work? I don't want to use the safety features yet, I want it to function like an L61 at the moment then add the safety bits later.

Thanks.

Last edited:
BTW, I don't have the 1756-LSP module installed in the rack, is this necessary for the CPU to work? I don't want to use the safety features yet, I want it to function like an L61 at the moment then add the safety bits later.

That's most likely is your problem, it's definately a problem. Without the Safety Partner, the GuardLogix controller throws a non-recoverable major fault. I've verified on a GuardLogix system that you can't communicate with controller when this happens.

You can't use a GuardLogix processor without it's partner.

Last edited:
Ok, I thought that might have been the case, but I just wanted someone to confirm that for me!
Thanks for that "Timbert"