Can't add PLC in the communication setup FactoryTalk View ME

mattgbek

Hello,

When I click on the processor in Communications Setup, it says to select a different path...it can't be used. It gives no explanation as to why and the apply button stays shaded. This is a 1756-L71 ControlLogix 5571 controller which is showing up displayed as 1756-EN2T in the Factory Talk Linx window of the Design (Local) tab. I'm trying to connect to a PVP7. I have added HMI's in the past and have never ran into this before. I'm using FactoryTalk View Studio ME v.10

One thing I am unsure of is that I have RSLinx Classic. I have read that when installing FactoryTalk View Studio ME you automatically get RSLinx Enterprise? I am not seeing that. Another thing that is different here is that I have successfully added to "CompactLogix" controllers before, but this is the first with a "ControlLogix" with this same software. Anyone have and ideas about this? Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Matt

UPDATE:
Nevermind, what is showing up is are the Ethernet IP modules that they use to connect to. Usually get online with that same IP address so did not realize the Controller IP is actually different as in on a different network.

Last edited:
Hello,

This is a 1756-L71 ControlLogix 5571 controller which is showing up displayed as 1756-EN2T in the Factory Talk Linx window of the Design (Local) tab.

I've never done initial setup, but I've dealt with a number of similar existing setups.

The 1756-EN2T would be an Ethernet module in the chassis, not the processor itself. The software recognizes you aren't selecting a processor.

You'll need to drill down through the backplane and select the actual processor.

EDIT: From what I recall a 1756-L71 may not have an integrated Ethernet port, making a separate module the only way to connect via Ethernet at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the resolution, and welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Because you can put multiple CPUs in to a 1756 chassis, you need to "drill down" to the Slot number where the CPU resides to make a "Shortcut" in RSLinx Classic or RSLinx Enterprise.

The older CompactLogix CPUs emulated Slot 0, and the modern ones make the target IP and CPU the same CIP path, so they're a little simpler.