Can't browse for Offline Tags - RSView ME

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
I probably just missing some simple:

I have already:

Setup a shortup in local tab in RSLinx Ent. pointed to the correct *.acd file.

The manual gives me the impression that once the above is done, I can see the addresses in the *.acd file as tags, but I can't. All it is showing is the original empty tag folder with the /system sub-folder. I have restarted ME and closed RS5K but no luck.

-this is a compact logix, PV600+ project

I think you must also "build" the online path in linx enterprise to the actual controller. This can be a pain if you're not actually connected to it somehow. To do it offline, you have to insert each component in the comms path--manually and correctly. That means the comms card, the rack, and the processor--with correct node/slot addressing--or it will nail you later. When done, "copy the online path to the offline path. Then you have to save and close the application, then re-boot your PC. When the tag selector pops up after inserting an object, choose the offline folder. It may take a few minutes for enterprise to read all the offline tags from the file, and this can be painful.

I only used the off line method a couple of times because it's such a pain in the neck. It was much easier for me to have the rack and cards plugged in at my desk.

A couple of quick things to check:

1. What version of RSLogix 5000 are you using? The offline tag browse feature is only available for version 11 and above, I believe.

2. What version of RSView ME are you using? The earlier releases of ME (3.0 and 3.1) tended to require a long time to browse larger offline files. I *think* this may have been because it took ME a while to recognize that no online connection was present. This works much more efficiently in version 3.2.

3. Although this sounds a little counter-intuitive, on a test project, try browsing for your offline file *before* you create the shortcut to your online processor. For some reason, it seems like ME doesn't like it when you try to add an offline file to an already-created shortcut.

Hope this helps!

Rick

The manual gave me that impression, too: I thought all I had to do was point to the offline *.ACD file.

Nope; you must also have a Local shortcut that points to the controller. It doesn't matter if it's physically present or not; you can manually add in the path elements.

Upgrade to RSView ME Studio 3.20 and get the latest RSLinx Enterprise with it. Many of the hair-pulling problems present in the early releases of 3.0 and 3.10 are remedied.

Thanks for the all the help. I found the problem:

I configured the 1769-L32 ethernet bridge but I didn't put in the processor (I still thinking in SLC). Also, one has to do a "refresh all folder" in the tag broswer.

you guys are right, doing this offline is a pain in the..

[attachment]

rsviewme1.jpg