Can't open Logix/Studio from ACD file

mylespetro

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried a search but couldn't find anything. Recently, when I try to double click a .ACD file in Windows Explorer to open Logix/Studio, it doesn't open. The splash page shows up and then goes away with no result. I can open files by opening the Studio 5000 Launcher and navigating through there, but that's a little annoying.

Anyone run into this? I'm prepared to reinstall if necessary, but if someone knows an easy fix, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

My first guess is that it is related to the LogixDesigner.exe security settings. I would want to see if it is affecting more than one particular version. If possible, try opening another project that you know is using a different version. See if that problem is unique to a version, or if it is affecting everything. If it is just one version having this issue, go to where the .exe file is located. Here is an example for v32. Change the "32" to whatever version you are using.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\Studio 5000\Logix Designer\ENU\v32\Bin

Right click on the LogixDesigner.exe file and select Properties and then select the Compatibility tab. See if it has been set for a compatibility mode. Also check if the Run as Administrator box is ticked. Try changing these settings and see if that gets you anywhere.

OG

My first guess is that it is related to the LogixDesigner.exe security settings. I would want to see if it is affecting more than one particular version. If possible, try opening another project that you know is using a different version. See if that problem is unique to a version, or if it is affecting everything. If it is just one version having this issue, go to where the .exe file is located. Here is an example for v32. Change the "32" to whatever version you are using.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\Studio 5000\Logix Designer\ENU\v32\Bin

Right click on the LogixDesigner.exe file and select Properties and then select the Compatibility tab. See if it has been set for a compatibility mode. Also check if the Run as Administrator box is ticked. Try changing these settings and see if that gets you anywhere.

OG

Seems to be happening with v23 and v24 files, v32 works fine. Checked the Compatibility tab and it's set to run as administrator and set for compatibility with Windows 7. I'll try changing that to Windows 8 and give it a shot.

Thanks!

Seems to be happening with v23 and v24 files, v32 works fine. Checked the Compatibility tab and it's set to run as administrator and set for compatibility with Windows 7. I'll try changing that to Windows 8 and give it a shot.

Thanks!

We've seen this many times with v24 over the years. Along with run as administrator, try setting User Account Control to the lowest level. Open the windows menu, type UAC.

I think another cause can be that startup page that it tries to load. If your software loads it (we always opt not to), the only way to disable it when the software won't start is in the registry.

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Start Page

Change NeverShow to 1

We've seen this many times with v24 over the years. Along with run as administrator, try setting User Account Control to the lowest level. Open the windows menu, type UAC.

I think another cause can be that startup page that it tries to load. If your software loads it (we always opt not to), the only way to disable it when the software won't start is in the registry.

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Start Page

Change NeverShow to 1

I'll give the registry thing a shot, I have UAC set to off already anyways.

Thanks, really appreciate it!

I'll give the registry thing a shot, I have UAC set to off already anyways.

Thanks, really appreciate it!

There was one instance of this happening with v20 that I was never able to solve for one of our techs. I spend so much time on silly things like this, I'm always able to get to the bottom of it. We threw in the towel, he put a shortcut to the RS5000.exe on his desktop, so whenever he has to use v20 specifically, he starts the v20 RS5000.exe first, then opens the program. It still eats away at me, I need to go back and figure it out. Just throwing this out as a last ditch...

Thanks!
Set compatibility mode to *shudders* Windows Vista.