Cheap Automation Direct PLC's or Expensive AB?

bernie_carlton said:
I to am an AutomationDirect enthusiast but, before everyone goes off saying this is the only way to go please consider:

The type of PLC equipment which is already in place.

The cost of maintaining different spares.

The learning curve time.

Others who may follow who may have to be familiar with more than one PLC structure.

Problems with these could outweigh the difference in initial cost very quickly.

Or, most importantly, what does the customer specify and if he doesn't specify what is the customer already set up to support?

I prefer to think of AD as cost effective.

Since you don't need a full fledged rack system, the DL06 with some expansion modules should be quite adequet.

I have seen several people take the AD catalog with it's info on ladder logic and programming, and learn the basics and beyond fairly quickly. If you can program AB, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Some of AB and GE Fanuc micro's would probably do just as well. You might even be able to pick either brand up as a starter kit or tool box kit, and get the software and programming cable basically "FREE".

Another cost effective unit to look into would be entertron, who also has display units. They also have a nifty new "logger" module if you need to keep track of info, and download it to excel. Entertron has FREE software, with a simulator, so you can write your program, and try it, without even having a plc.

"Entertron Link"

You can get lots of support on this site, specially if it is AD.

Both AD and entertron have excellant factory support (FREE).

regards.....casey

You will not need one of the 24 vdc models

I'm starting a project mostly 120v inputs when will you need the 24 vdc model;)

I like the clean and fast loading website, unlike the AB website that, in my opinion has a very confusing system of navigating. I also noticed the AB website makes it difficult to find the price, basically you have to put it in your online "shopping cart" before you can see the price of, for example, a 120VAC imput card.

That's because you didn't give Rockwell Software your first born child for access to their easy to use version of their website.