Cheaper PLC for driving five stepper motors

FiveO

Hi

I have 5 stepper motors with drivers(each can support pulse up to 300kHz) and I want to control them with PLC. Also need to control ramp.

Additionally I need 2 outputs and 2 inputs(2 relay output or control and 2 sensor input). Each stepper motor needs 2 outputs.

Is it possible to find something suitable below 200 euros of dollars.

English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

Last edited:
yes there is look at arduino, it has far better speed and is cheap 25 $ max.
and 300 kHz is only the pulstime, the steptime is way longer.
google accelstepper or multistepper and your eyes will fall out.
a NANO for 3$ can do this trick.

You might be in a tricky spot. I know at least with Siemens PLCs, 4 motors is the point at which you need to move up from a cheaper micro PLC (S7-1200) to a more expensive "full" PLC (S7-1500).

I'm not sure where other vendors make have their cutoffs, but I know they like to try to match each other's specs, so my guess is they are similar.

You may want to utilize the data port on a PLC to drive individual controllers for the price range you are looking for. Stepper motor cards are pretty darn expensive.

Greetings,

Based on the number of steppers you are talking about, likely requiring a PWM, you may need multiple PLCs to do so.

We are a distributor for Triangle Research, whom offers the FMD series with Stepper capabilities. More information is available through the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/tri-plc/fmdseries.htm

It is an industrial embedded Ethernet PLC.

If you would like to discuss your requirements further, we can do so through this tread, pm or you can email me through the link provided below.

Disclosure - ESI is an authorized TriPLC distributor