Citect to VIPA via PSDirect

woolie161

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,
Has anyone had success with a VIPA PLC talking to Citect using PSDirect Driver over Ethernet?
The current situation is Citect V7.1 on WinXp communicating to a VIPA CPU313C-2DP with a CP343-1 Ethernet module. Communications is achieved using a "VIPA OPC" server. Things are currently working, but if 1 extra tag is added to Citect, then after re-compiling and restarting the project, communication fails. i.e. #Coms on all values. The new citect tag is generated by copying an existing tag, renaming it and modifying the address. The new tag address already existed in the PLC. I have no experience with OPC servers, let alone VIPA OPC servers, but I have had success with Siemens S7-300 and PSDirect.

As the VIPA can be programmed using the Step 7 software (V5.5), I am wondering if the Citect PSDirect drive will also work with the VIPA PLC.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful
Thanks
Woolie

From this link:

https://www.citect.schneider-electric.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-8614.html

PSDIRECT Driver Front end & backendVipa (http://www.vipa.de/)S7-300 series compatible
Hardware Requirements = Models with built in Ethernet
Software Requirements = No Siemens Software required !Serial (MPI)Siemens (http://www.ad.siemens.de/meta/html_76/produkte.htm)S7-300/400 series
Hardware Requirements = RS232<-->MPI Converter
Software Requirements = None
The converter should be ordered from your local Siemens office. Siemens Part No : 6ES7 972-OCA21-0XA0Vipa (http://www.vipa.de/)S7-300 series compatible
Hardware Requirements = Vipa Green Cable (supplied with PLC) no converter required
Software Requirements = No Siemens Software required !

Thanks for your reply Sigmadelta,
The VIPA configuration has a separate Ethernet module (CP343), there is no "built in" Ethernet as per line 2 of your quote. This will explain the issues I have been experiencing.

Again Thank you for your response.

Woolie

Hi Sigmadelta,
Your memory is in good form and working well.
I think it's time to move on to another solution
Thank you for your time and help
Woolie

Hi Woolie,

VIPA have only ever made one 313C - it's called a 313SC with SPEED7 technology and includes a Ethernet port on board. The Ethernet port on board 100% supports RFC1006, ISO on TCP and the VIPA OPC server.

In Australia most of our customers using VIPA and Citect do so via VIPA OPC server or PS Direct. PS Direct driver will work with VIPA the same as Siemens, but the VIPA OPC server also works, perhaps you have a configuration error.

With the VIPA OPC server you can configure your system in two different ways, either with tags in Citect talking to tags in the OPC server, or with only tags in Citect directly writing through the OPC server to the PLC without tags set in the OPC server.

The second method is preferred, as you only set an item name in the VIPA OPC server for the 313sc PLC, and then you can read/write data in the PLC directly from Citect using the syntax plcname/M0.0 in the Citect tags for example. Once set up the first time, everything is configured in Citect only. If you are using this second method, then the OPC server can not be the issue, perhaps you are calling an incorrect data type or a data type which has not been defined?

We are VIPA Automation - the official office for VIPA in Australia and provide free telephone and email support, please contact us on 0734880177 directly anytime you require help.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul for your insight and knowledge.
It would appear there is more investigations required on my behalf.

Cheers
Woolie