Citect: Upgrade from 7.1 to 7.2, any known issue?

ongzy

I have 2 servers and need to provide a redundancy system.
Pc1 is the old one, running on windows xp sp3, citect 7.1.
Pc2 is the new one, running on windows 7 64-bit, citect 7.2.

Tried to use the above configuration, redundancy doesn't work.
It's either to downgrade pc2 to citect 7.1 or upgrade pc1 to 7.2.

Downgraded pc2 to 7.1 version, working fine. But in the manual, it doesn't says that citect 7.1 supports windows 7, that's my concern.

But when I try to restore a backup project of v7.1 into 7.2, sometimes it works, sometimes don't depends on the backup project. Has an error like cannot start task in the runtime window.

Last edited:
Ongzy,
CitectSCADA v7.10 from Service Pack 3 on supports Windows 7. From the Service Pack 3 Release Notes:

Important New Changes:
Windows 7 Compatibility
[FONT=Arial,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Arial Narrow]The application of the V7.10 Service Pack 3 will allow users to run the product on the Windows 7 operating system.
To run on Windows 7, please install your SCADA product using your product DVD.
Ignore any warnings that drivers may not be compatible with Windows 7 - the majority of the drivers have been tested and will function correctly.
Updated drivers stamped for Windows 7 are available for download from our DriverWeb website.
After installing the product, please install V7.10 Service Pack 3 to ensure Windows 7 compatibility.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]Lastly, restore your projects and recompile to run on Windows 7[FONT=Arial,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Arial Narrow]. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Arial Narrow][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Arial Narrow]The Release notes don't say anything about 64-bit vs. 32-bit Windows 7.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Arial Narrow]Also for upgrades to v7.20, note that some of the default directories may have changed, that could be part of the problem. It won't be long before v7.30 is released, so I would lean towards solving the problem with 7.20 instead of staying at the 7.10 level.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Arial Narrow]Here, we've gone through 6.1 to 7.0 to 7.1 to 7.2 now. Following the upgrade instructions is the best bet...usually involves un-installing the previous version, so the new version will do a clean install.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Thanks!!

My boss very much want to upgrade to 7.20 too. But I've tried it many times to restore the 7.10 backup file to run on 7.20 citect, all started fine (alarms, trend startup) except for IOServer.

The message is: IOServer Started, followed by: Cannot Start Task

I attach screen shot for your reference. Note that trend & alarm started completely, I stopped them manually.

My testing result:
When 7.10 citect backup file is restored on 7.20 version, the pc cannot work as a Server. When it is configured as a client, it works pretty well!

Cannot Create Task Server.jpg

Just read something on Service Pack 3 for CitectSCADA Version 7.20.

50892 - "Cannot Create Task <IO Server name>" at startup
Defining multiple primary IO devices with the same name would result in the error "Cannot Create Task <IO Server name>" at startup. This situation is now detected at compile time, with an error "Same primary IO device name used with two different network numbers".

Setting up redundancy is kind of tricky....we had several back-and-forths with Tech support before we got it working right. Works perfect now. Also be sure to update your I/O Drivers.... good luck!

I've handled a project with redundancy before, Citect 7.0, working fine.

Currently, I set up this project with version 7.10, working fine too. The problem is that we wish to upgrade our system to version 7.20 and when I backup & restore the project to test in version 7.20, it just doesn't seem to work.

Upgraded to Service Pack 3, it solved the issue of "Cannot Start Task" because of multiple declaration of IO devices. But after fixing the issue, it still gives some exception which I still haven't figure out why..

P/s: Print screen attached.

Exception Report.jpg Exception Report 2.jpg

Already sent. Now waiting for their reply.

P/s: The Service Pack 3 at Schneider offcial website is not workable. They sent me another .zip file personally. I'll share it out later if I have the time. The internet connection at work is too slow.