cjim cpu11 etn

rgmiles

I have a cj1m cpu11 etn plc and wish to conect it to a network using ethernet.
I am new to networking i have only used plc's for control to this point and need some help.
I have connected the plc to the network the plc address is set to default.
the network says it is connected , but i cannot Ping the plc.
i have read the manual inside out but i seem to be missing something.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?Sample settings etc?
Regards.
Bob

You can verify the ip address by going into the IO Table and Unit Setup.
The Ethernet portion of the cpu will appear as slot 0 in the main rack and show as a CJ1W-ETN21. Right click on the module and choose unit setup from the menu. The ip address should show in the dialog box.

Hope this will help.

thanks for that.
I have the setup set to default.
the oconnection is only between the plc and my laptop at this time.
My laptop is telling me it is connected to the lan, but when i Ping the address i am getting the masseage destination address unreachable.
if i put in the wrong address it tells me Could not find host.
I have not placed any comm commands into the plc yet, does this make a difference??
i think i should be able to ping the plc to confirm comms.

The ip address of the plc is set to default.
i dont know the ip address of my laptop.
the plc is directly connected to the laptop by ethernet cable it is not connected to a lan.

Many thanks for your time and effort.
The f***ng cable supplied by omron was faulty!!
i used a cable from my spares box and it worked first time.
I am not very experienced with ethernet, but i can read manuals.
i thought i was missing something.
Thank you again for your help
regards
Bob

Many thanks for your time and effort.
The f***ng cable supplied by omron was faulty!!
i used a cable from my spares box and it worked first time.

Was the supplied cable a cross-over? If you are direct from PC to PLC, you will need a cross-over cable.

You really need to learn a few basics to understand the networking aspect. There are numerous ways to find the IP address of your computer, if you are using the PING command, you must be in the DOS window, if you enter ipconfig, it will tell you the ip setting of your machine.

Most people assign a non-default IP address to the hardware, such as PC => 10.1.1.99, PLC 10.1.1.100.