Clearing Minor Faults in PLC with RSView ME, Clearing Minor Faults in PLC with RSView

jimdi4

I monitor the PLC processor battery condition through a GSV instruction. When the battery gets low the GSV flips on a bit to trigger an alarm to be displayed on the RSview alarm page...after the battery has been changed, (power on of course) the PLC still needs to have the minor fault reset...

I want to reset this minor fault w/o grabbing a laptop and going to the PLC program

I want to clear it through the RSview me screen.....

What I need to know, but don't know how to do it, is to toggle that button...that says "Clear minors" when you go to
In the controller organizer, right-click the Controller

name_of_controller folder and select Properties.

Click the Minor Faults tab.

of the "Project" in Contrologix Project tree...At the very top...:mad:

What is the address or Contrologix "system bit" for that "Clear Minors" button?:mad:

S:Minor is not really a tag so I don't believe the HMI can access it directly.
That clear has to happen at the controller through logic. From the HMI you can trigger that logic in the controller to perform the clear.

XIC HMI_Clear_Minor OTU S:MINOR

Of course if the fault still exists, it will reappear.

OG

Last edited:
Remember that you cannot clear it from View ME. That clear has to happen at the controller. But you can trigger the controller to perform the clear.

XIC HMI_Clear_Minor OTU S:MINOR

Of course if the fault still exists, it will reappear.

OG
Thanks for your reply,

But the Controller doesn't set this bit for minor faults that are not related to program execution, such as battery low...

I might add that whats keeping the rest from occuring is that I am setting system value

GSV -

Class name -Controllerdevice
attr - Status
Dest - Tagname - Hardware_fault_to_MMI

I think I need a SSV to read the Tagname (Hardware_fault_to_MMI) and move a zero into it...when the battery is ok again....Any thoughts...this is an easy programming thing...I am spending to much time on it...

Thanks for your reply....But as my previous post points out I am programming a GSV for the OBJECT named CONTROLLERDEVICE. This gets the physical harware STATUS of the controller. Your link provides a solution for the fault log, thats fine, the status bit 10 does clear when you plug the battery back in but the CONTROLLERDEVICE status bit still needs to be reset to clear the minor fault...When I attempt to program a SSV instruction to try to clear the CONTROLLESTATUS object the Attribute status is not available, like it is for the GSV instruction....this is where I am stumped!!!...I am on the line waiting for Rockwell support as I am typing this...I will reply back with a solution if not anyone else who may have experienced this with a solution is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in Advance....:cry:

Why I contact the Rockwell help goes beyond me but once again wasted time...No Help At all...

Ok what i discovered is that the FAULTLOG can Class name will be used. When FAULTLOG is used instead of CONTROLLESTATUS the MinorEvents and MinorFaultBits can be reset with two consecutive SSL instructions conditioned off the alarm reset MMI PB.

This will reset the minor fault in the PLC but the CONTROLLESTATUS will not reset. So I removed the minor fault bit bit 8 from the CONTROLLESTATUS and just conditioned my Hardware Fault Alarm Output Bit to be conditioned by only the major fault bits 9 and 11.

This is a messy cure because the AB software satill has a bug in it rev 17, where the Minor Fault will reset and clear with a SSV but this doesn't clear the CONTROLLER STATUS bit 8 minor fault.

To Reset CONTROLLER STATUS you need to flag another Minor fault such as yanking the battery temporarly, and then go to the 5000 plc software and reset the minor fault through the Controller properties....thats the only way to do it...;)

Last edited: