CLICK Koyo Causing Computer crash

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I have Automation Direct CLICK Koyo PLC C0-00AR-D, when I’m on line with the controller my computer (DELL PRECISION M4400 windows XP service pack 3) crashes. I get a blue screen with some errors. After reboot I can get the log of what caused the crash and it seem like the comms cable is the fault (EA-MG-PGM-CBL). Anyone experienced this before? Any solutions?

untitled.jpg

Yes... it can be the drivers OR hardware, you should be able to use the cable with a DL05, 06 , 205 or xxxx Do you have another PLC (Automation Direct) that you can try it on?

You can also try and update your driver/software

I have the same thing with AB new 830 driver on RSLinx... only on one PC, so I just dont use that PC

Do you have another PLC (Automation Direct) that you can try it on?
This is the only Automation Direct PLC in the plant I dont have anything else to try it on. I will try to update the driver for the comms cable

Maybe this is off topic but i have had problems in the past when online with Koyo plc and found that plugging in the laptop to my power supply made all my problems go away??

USB to RS232 adapters can cause some machines to blue screen if unplugged while communicating. Check for an intermittent USB port.
Click software is a free download. Should be easy to try another laptop.

Seems that I may have overlooked a issue with the service pack. On AD website it states that the driver supports Windows XP SP 2, mine is a SP 3, that may cause the issue.

I had a plc class thru my work and for training purposes they used click plcs. After you download the program. You have to save your and exit out; then unplug com cable.

Windows XP SP3 should be ok. As was said before it is probably a driver or hardware issue. There should be an entry in "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel for the Koyo drive. Uninstall this program then go to Device Manager and Remove the driver for the COM port that the USB to Serial adapter is using.

Reboot without the USB cable plugged in, reinstall the Koyo driver then plug the USB cable back in. If that does not resolve the issue, see if you can find another PC to try.

One other thing to check, is the Power Saver settings for the USB ports. Set this to never sleep the USB port and see if it helps.

And if that does not work... you can buy another cable ;)

http://www.ind-concepts.com/index.htm

They work great :)

But try what icky812 said, another way is to right click on the cable/usb in your device mananger and select remove/delete then check the box to remove the driver (if using Windows 7)

34543rewaf.jpg

@Geniusintraining - You still have to uninstall it from the Add/Remove programs interface as well as remove it from the Device Manager or it doesn't truly remove it.

@Geniusintraining - You still have to uninstall it from the Add/Remove programs interface as well as remove it from the Device Manager or it doesn't truly remove it.

Sure it does.... just check the box ((delete the driver software for this device))

usb349yr389.jpg

Trust me that Windows is fibbing to you when it says it is deleting the driver. :) There are multiple caches where drivers are stored and Windows does not recursively search each and every one of them and remove the driver. It can still find it even after supposedly deleting it from Device Manager. Delete the driver, reboot and plug the cable back in. Windows will still find it.

The only way to be sure that it is gone is by removing it from Device Manager and remove it through Add/Remove Programs, then rebooting.

I am new to plc's. I am using Koyo click software to practice. I have completed several programs. Is there a simulation tester for the Koyo Click programs.

I have experience with the Automation Direct USB-RS232 adapter and I think it sucks.
I experienced problems with it as well.
Get a GOOD, proven RS232/USB adapter.
Do not buy any USB adapter, they will not work correctly.
RS232 is super sensitive and only a few adapters on the market are good enough for PLC Comms.

Moxa has a very good one: UPort 1110
Keyspan is another proven one: USA-19HS