Click PLC outputs question

Goodo, you're on the right track at least. I would suggest that the lamp is probably fine to use, although I would just check the wattage as those click outputs are very low powered and it's hard to get an idea of scale from that photo to know how high-powered the LED is. If it's too high a wattage, it could still have blown your output.

Also, is your PLC definitely executing the code (in Run mode)? I assume so, as you mentioned earlier that the little LED beside Y1 on the PLC is coming on and off as it should when you turn the switch on and off, but just to be certain.

My next move would be to change the program to run a different output - perhaps Y5 or Y6, so it's on a completely separate group to the suspected faulty output - and then without hooking up any load to it, run the same tests as above.

Yep I am in Run mode.

Ok so I think I have got it to work more or less on other outputs and inputs. Just another small issue, with the load removed from Y1 to '-' i measure 24V when switch is on and 12V when off. After I connect the LED load i suddenly measure just over 12V when the switch is on and just under 12V (11.8 or so) when off. Due to the difference being so small I either have the LED dimly on when it should be off or if I connect a resistor it will be off but it will be dim when it should be on (because of the small difference in voltage between on/off)...

It does sound like a faulty output, particularly if the same configuration works on a different output. Again, just check the wattage of your LED and make sure you're not overloading the output - if that's what killed output Y1 you'll end up in the same boat with your new output before long!

That's why I use relay outputs. They handle more load. They won't last as long, but so far I've not had any failures and I've got some that have been running 6 days a week, 18-20 hours a day, for 3-4 years. If I get that much life out of a $100 PLC, I'm good with it.

Thanks guys for your help! The outputs were indeed faulty, I have connected it up on another module and its perfect. Was driving me nuts in what I have wired wrong and why it won't work :)