CoDeSys OPC Server & Windows 7

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I'm currently quoting a SCADA upgrade, and there's a CoDeSys OPC server involved. I'm upgrading the OS from Windows XP to Windows 7, can anyone tell me whether the CoDeSys OPC server v2.3.13.11 is Windows 7 compatible? I'd assume it is, the system is reportedly only 4 years old, and Windows 7 has been around since 2009, but I've been completely unable to find any sort of compatibility chart or documentation.

Thanks!

We have used Codesys in Windows 10. But not used OPCserver. Be careful in using OPC with Win 7 & newer systems in a networked environment. To get around the DCOM issues becomes a daunting tsk. If you can bypass OPC, it may be an easier task. If you share more info, I may be able to suggest some cleaner solution. [email protected]

Thanks for that. I have just spoken to a local tech support person who can vouch for having used it on Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Long term the plan is to bypass the OPC server as there is a native driver that should be able to do the job, but we need to make sure we can at least get it up and running again as-is for now.

Can you tell me more about the potential DCOM issues you are referring to?

Microsoft declared COM/DCOM obsolete in 2000 or so, due to security issues & COM/DCOM were based on OLE technology that was introduced by Microsoft in 1992 or so. OPC is based on COM/DCOM. Setting up Windows XP SP3 or newer for using this old technology is very cumbersome. We have some hardcore Windows programmers here who trashed Windows setting them up. Look up the Codesys version you have for support for other protocols, & if possible use them. Most Codesys installations by the vendor support various protocols like MBTCP or ETHERnet/IP etc. Let me know & I can help you.

This system is already running on XP SP3, and is only 4-5 years old. So any issues with COM/DCOM from 15 years ago have already been overcome.