Codesys: Possibly flawed installation.

Steven C

Hello,

I'm trying to teach myself some 'codesys'

I'm not new to PLC's but I am new to codesys specifically

I installed codesys V3.5 SP18 on the windows 8 virtualbox virtual machine of an old mac (working with what's available).

I was going through a tutorial lesson I found on youtube, and everything was great until I got to visualization.

Visualizations were mostly okay until I looked at Lamps/Switches/Bitmaps.

There is nothing visible. If I put a switch into the visualization, it's like nothing is there, but I can click on nothing and find out that it does have switch properties.

I tried reinstalling under repair. That didn't help. Any Advice?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 4.13.55 PM.png

I tried
VirtualBox -> Settings -> Display
enabling 3D accelleration, and upping the video memory to 256 MB.

It's still not fixed.

I have 3.5.17 installed on virtualbox and it has been working quite well.
I installed 3.5.18 and it took many tries, uninstall and reinstall until it finally finished. I could not even find visualization object in the context menu. I tried again to repair the installation and it hang again.

My advice is if you were not able to get it working, give up and save your time. That is what I did.

Install an older version and if that doesn't work go with TwinCat 3, you will learn the same principles and very similar platform.

Edit: You may actually want to go with BCS fro Beijer, the software installs very easily and works and simulates right away. Twincat 3 has a few setting that have to be learnt; not difficult at all but something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
During the rollout of CODESYS V3 SP18 Patch 1, we discovered a bug that causes a breakdown of the installation when adding special add-ons. The problem was caused by an error in the build chain and the incorrect versioning of an interface. We have therefore stopped the rollout and will provide a corrected, but otherwise identical version CODESYS V3 SP18 Patch 2 in a few days. Please accept our apologies for the delay!
The numbers of subsequent patches will increase accordingly, i.e. the originally planned Patch 2 will become Patch 3.
From CodeSys linkedin