collecting data from a press

Welcome to the forum.

A little more information will be helpful.
1) What brand and model PLC are you using?
2) What means of communicating with it (Ethernet, serial, Modbus, etc) do you have?
3) What data do you want to gather and how much of it do you want?

The more information you can provide the better we can help you reach a solution you will be happy with.

You probably don't want to log dirctly to Excel because of its data limitations but Excel can open a number of databases.

we are using Allen Bradley and PLC Rslogix 5000
We are using Ethernet for communication
we are trying to datalog the press load data for 24 hrs run to see the trends.
Little bit of history why we need it-
we did a change over recently and the press is failing lot of parts for high pressure but the information is lost once the next part comes into the station.So we are trying to collect the data for each part that go through the press in order to find a solution

The easiest and most cost effective way (since you've probably already purchased RSLogix 5000) is to use the Trend feature of the software.
You should be able to log any tag within your project and plot it automatically vs. time.
The resulted graphs could be exported into a spreadsheet for analylis.
Of course this will require running a copy of your RSLogix 5000 application file Online with the CLX processor for the period of time you are intending to log.