College Project-Connecting RSLogix to OPC

StudentG

Hi all,

I’m an electrical engineering student doing my final year project which involves PLC work. The course is mostly focused on the power end of things but I have done a bit on PLCs, mostly programming.

My project doesn’t involve a physical PLC but uses RSLogix to write a ladder logic program which will communicate with InTouch through an OPC server. The problem I’m having is not programming but connecting RSLogix to the OPC server, it’s not something I am familiar with.

Here’s a few specifics:

• Im using RSLogix Micro Starter Lite version 8.30.00.
  • The program is currently set up MicroLogix 1100 Series B.
  • The OPC server is KEPServerEX with the simulator driver.
Do I need to use RSLinx to connect to KEPServerEX even though I’m not using an actual PLC?

Thanks for taking time to read this, any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated!

RSLogix Micro Starter Lite is for programming the MicroLogix1100 PLC. It is strictly a program development package. It doesn't execute the program and it doesn't emulate a PLC - there is not anything for an OPC server to communicate with. You need an actual PLC or an emulator.