Communication between 1747-UIC and 1747-L40 SLC

flyers

Hi,

Does anyone here successfully communicate the 1747-UIC with 1747-L40 or fix hardware type SLC?

I tried to setup the 1747-UIC in 2 notebook, but no luck. The OK & USB light are 'ON' steady.

The DH-485 LED does not even blink.

Besides that, has anyone successfully replaced the 1747-C13 cable with a self made Ethernet cable (straight)?

Thanks guys.

there are a lot of posts with regards to the various problems with the 1747-UIC I would do a search for them this deivice is used for the RS 485 connections if your converting an RS 232 connection to USB you can use most standard USB to RS 232 converters. an example of one that I've never had a problem with is MT 609-2 I do know that OMron also has a reputable converter however I don't have the info on that one on hand. Again do a search on this site there is a lot of articles on it some with images of the settings etc.

flyers said:
Hi,

Does anyone here successfully communicate the 1747-UIC with 1747-L40 or fix hardware type SLC?

I tried to setup the 1747-UIC in 2 notebook, but no luck. The OK & USB light are 'ON' steady.

The DH-485 LED does not even blink.

Besides that, has anyone successfully replaced the 1747-C13 cable with a self made Ethernet cable (straight)?

Thanks guys.

Yes, this should work assuming you have the UIC driver and RSLinx setup correctly. Don't know about the CAT5 replacement.

mordred said:
there are a lot of posts with regards to the various problems with the 1747-UIC I would do a search for them this deivice is used for the RS 485 connections if your converting an RS 232 connection to USB you can use most standard USB to RS 232 converters. an example of one that I've never had a problem with is MT 609-2 I do know that OMron also has a reputable converter however I don't have the info on that one on hand. Again do a search on this site there is a lot of articles on it some with images of the settings etc.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I did try to search for the web & this forum, but no luck to locate one regarding the communication of the 1747-UIC with the OLD SLC 500 (1747-L40P), I've successfully communicate the 1747-UIC with SLC 5/01, 02 & 03. I also successfully communicate the 1784-PCMK with this 1747-L40P, but only the 1747-UIC does not work well with this processor. That's why I'm not too sure if there is a compatibility issue between these two.

I tried to check with Rockwell, but now is already Friday night and I can't get any support at this moment, while we are working over the weekend. Even on weekedays, the rockwell tech support told me it's hard to get information on 1747-L40P due to aging of this product. So, I taught I might just try my luck here if anyone successfully comm. between these two devices.

jstolaruk said:
Yes, this should work assuming you have the UIC driver and RSLinx setup correctly. Don't know about the CAT5 replacement.

Hi,

That's what I initially taught also, but...

I managed to get an original 1747-C13 cable and try with the 1747-L40 processor, still no luck ;(

So, last resort is either the convertor is faulty (i managed to comm with SLC5/04 using RS232(DH485)) or there is compatibility issue.

I'll try 1747-PIC tomorrow. Looking for a built in serial port n/book now!!

look in used notebook store outlets its bout the only place you will find them now. I haven't worked with your processor so I do not know of any compatibility issues there you could check the knowledge base at rockwell I've read several articles there on the issues with the UIC

I did a quick search on the Knowledge base you may want to check out articles G27449, and A9874 also what operating system are you using on your Notebook?

Regarding the 1747-UIC, we had one in at work about a year ago, and had the AB rep in to help troubleshoot it. We wound up sending it back. Give me a PIC and a serial port any day.

DELL still makes one or 2 sub $2k laptops with serial ports.

Check out a D820

Edit:

I have had problems with LONG extension cables on DH-485. I was trying to extend the DH-485 port 10-15' from the processor to a Grace port for convenience(it was in a busy production area), and then plug in my PIC with a 20' standard AB DH-485 cable. I gave up, and went with a different solution. Mostly, it just refused to connect to the processor...

Last edited:
mordred said:
I did a quick search on the Knowledge base you may want to check out articles G27449, and A9874 also what operating system are you using on your Notebook?

Hi,

Thx for your info, the n/book OS is windows XP Pro.

The Original of the Species

I dug out a bunch of old SLC-500 gear tonight to figure this out for myself.

The 1747-UIC evidently only works with Fixed I/O SLC-500 controllers (the old 1747-L20, -L30, -L40) when they are on active DH485 networks.

UIC_FixedSLC.GIF

One modern way to provide the extra DH485 node when you want to go online with a fixed SLC is to use a 1761-NET-AIC and a small MicroLogix 1000 set for default protocol = DH485. You can connect the MicroLogix and the 1747-UIC to the two RS-232 ports on the 1761-NET-AIC, then connect the DH485 trunk port of the 1761-NET-AIC to the DH485 network port of the Fixed SLC-500 controller.

Systems that have Fixed SLC-500 controllers connected to PanelViews, DTAMs, or other SLC controllers using 1747-AIC isolators will work when you plug the 1747-UIC into the 1747-AIC's "Peripheral" port.

Ken Roach said:
I dug out a bunch of old SLC-500 gear tonight to figure this out for myself.

The 1747-UIC evidently only works with Fixed I/O SLC-500 controllers (the old 1747-L20, -L30, -L40) when they are on active DH485 networks.

UIC_FixedSLC.GIF

One modern way to provide the extra DH485 node when you want to go online with a fixed SLC is to use a 1761-NET-AIC and a small MicroLogix 1000 set for default protocol = DH485. You can connect the MicroLogix and the 1747-UIC to the two RS-232 ports on the 1761-NET-AIC, then connect the DH485 trunk port of the 1761-NET-AIC to the DH485 network port of the Fixed SLC-500 controller.

Systems that have Fixed SLC-500 controllers connected to PanelViews, DTAMs, or other SLC controllers using 1747-AIC isolators will work when you plug the 1747-UIC into the 1747-AIC's "Peripheral" port.

Ken, Thank you for your hassle to test the UIC, let me digest what you mentioned here. Appreciate it.

Ken, have looked into this any further? My boss and I read your original post and finally dug out an old 1747-L20C demo to try it on. It took somewhere between 45 and 60 seconds, but it finally showed up under the UIC driver in Linx. No other nodes on the network besides the L20C and his laptop. I wonder if this is another of the "weird little quirks" I keep hearing from customers regarding the UIC.

I hate to ressurect an old thread, but I'm currently battling this same issue. I just picked up a 1747-UIC for the extremely rare bit of DH485 tinkering I do. I'm trying to communicate to an old 1747-L40. I set up exactly as Ken showed/discussed above with an old ML1000 set to DH485 and the NET-AIC converter. I can see the ML1000 through the NET-AIC, but I can't see the SLC 500. I didn't have a 1761-CBL-AS03 on hand, so I just cut an ethernet cable, tracked the pinouts and used the CBL-AS03 pinout to land the appropriate wires from the ethernet patch to the phoenix connector on the DH-485 trunk side of the NET-AIC. I have no idea how the SLC-500 is setup in terms of node address or baud rate, but I have tried configuring everything with 9600 and 19200 and I have tried configuring the ML1000 with a couple different node addresses just to make sure there wasn't a conflict. Anyone have any ideas on other things to try? It's obviously possible the SLC500 is just bad (it is faulted, probably due to an expected module missing), but I think it's unlikely the comms are fried. It's a series C 1747-L40 and I don't think series C controllers can be factory reset.

By the way, I wired my RJ45 to NET-AIC phoenix connection like this:
G16104_img1.png

Where on the phoenix side 5 and 6 are jumped and 1 and 2 are jumped.

It's a little odd to me using one NET-AIC module since it seems like the DH485 link doesn't have two terminating ends, but I guess the SLC 500 is the other termination point.

I pulled another old SLC-500 (another 1747-L40) and now I can see the SLC-500, but the ML1000 has disappeared. I didn't change anything but switched to a different 1747-L40. So, Ken's method without a doubt works, but what happened to my ML1000? I can't communicate with it at all, when I know for a fact it's programmed for DH485, 19200 baud, node 05.