Communication between Micrologix 1400 and PV+ 600 through DH-485 network

Hello,

I am facing a huge problem with Dh-485 network configuration. In fact, my client has in his plant 2 Micrologix 1400 PLC and pv 600 (please find the architecture of network in attached file"network").

He asked me to change the old pv with pv+ 600. So, I used 1747-CP3 cable into DB-9 of 1761-net-AIC module and selected 1747-PIC/AIC driver in Rslinx Classic then ML and PV 600 appeared. (please view attached file "rs-who").

Next, I tried to configure a new path in Factorytalk view using rslinx enterprise (please view attached file "add driver selection") and selected serial DH-485 driver in local tab but unfortunately it didn't detect anything.

Would you please help me guys.

Thank you.

rs who.jpg add driver selection.jpg

Attachments

• network.pdf
    7.1 KB · Views: 28
What you want to configure is the "Serial DH485" driver in RSLinx Enterprise.

I have never been able to make that driver work on a standard Windows desktop computer. It certainly won't share the COM port with your RSLinx Classic driver.

So don't worry about making that driver work on your PC (and therefore on the Design(Local) tab). I would not create a Serial-DH485 driver on the Design(Local) tab.

Instead, you can connect to the MicroLogix 1400 via Ethernet from your development PC, and configure the PanelView to connect to the controller over DH485.

You don't necessarily have to use Ethernet for developing and testing the application. You can leave RSLinx Enterprise with no Design(Local) shortcut definition at all.

In RSLinx Enterprise, select the Runtime(Target) tab and create a new Serial DH485 driver as you've shown.

Important: Set this driver for COM1. The PanelView terminal considers its serial port to be COM1. You can leave all the other values at default when you create the driver as well.

Right-click on the Serial-DH485 driver and choose Add Device. Expand the "SLC DH485 Devices" folder and scroll down to select the last entry, labeled "1766-L32, MicroLogix 1400".

You can leave that name and node number at the default as well.

With the ML14002 Shortcut as well as the MicroLogix 1400 controller both highlighted, click the Apply button to save that shortcut definition.

That will set up your little DH485 network with the PanelView Plus at Node 00, and the MicroLogix at Node 01.

RSLE_DH485.png

Last edited:
Thank you Ken for your answer. In fact, I tried your proposed solution but in the design(local) not in the runtime and when I tried to test through factorytalk view but values didn't appear and there were errors on communication path. I will try your solution, create a .mer file and then dowload it to pv+ 600. Then, I wil share with you the result.

I have never been able to get the RSLinx Enterprise Serial-DH485 driver to work on a Windows desktop computer, so I am not surprised it did not work for you.

The system you have described would probably be better served by interconnecting all the devices with Ethernet, since they all include Ethernet ports.

But I'm sure there is a good reason why the network is built in that way.

Good luck !

I have never been able to get the RSLinx Enterprise Serial-DH485 driver to work on a Windows desktop computer, so I am not surprised it did not work for you.

The system you have described would probably be better served by interconnecting all the devices with Ethernet, since they all include Ethernet ports.

But I'm sure there is a good reason why the network is built in that way.

Good luck !

yes there is a good reason a you say :) In fact, there is long distance (500 Meter) between control room and production area and ethernet couldn't assure the communication so we need to use DH-485 network.

Thank you again Ken for your support ;)