Communication between PanelView 1000 and SLC 5/04

Closer now

OK. So it's the PanelView that gives you the error code, after your download? That is, your download is successful, the PV restarts, goes through error checking, and then displays the message (along with the default screen).

That's completely different. (From Ken's reply, and your description, I had thought that PB32 was giving you that error).

Looking at Knowledge Base Item G16248, it may be a bug that's been fixed in a more recent release of PB32. (after v 2.40)

It may also be that you have an address in a tag (or an implied address, if working with an array), that doesn't exist in the SLC. You may need to increase the size of a data table in the SLC to fix it.

Mickey Mills

In the PV users amnual it says error code 208 is Write to logic controller failed. Recommended Action is Check connections. Verify that controller is in run mode (PLC),and not busy. Verify that controller (PLC) data files are not in use by other applications.

Do the data files you are trying to write to exist in PLC.

Just a thought.

Mickey

I'm still not getting it.

That last reply took too long (work interrupted it).

When you say ...
all I have is the node:2 and the Baud: 57.6K that's it. There is nothing else
...do you mean that the table of Network Nodes is empty?!? (or just has one entry: "End of Node List"?)

Unless all you have are navigation buttons and static objects on your screens, I don't see how that could be. If you have one tag, you need a node name. If you have a node name, it must be configured in the Network Nodes table.

If the Node is a SLC, it should be configured as a SLC 5/04, not some type of PLC-5.

So is it normal that when I try to dowload my program on the SLC 5/04 it gives me "The target node is not a SLC 500 or Micrologix controller".
When I said I had nothing else I was talking about the "comm setup" screen. It does not show what type of device I have.

RP, you might be getting confused on which driver to use to download to the SLC-5/04 controller. If you try to download a SLC program while you're connected physically to the PanelView, you'll get that "target device is not an SLC or MicroLogix controller".

You can also get that error message from RSLogix 500 when your programming software is much older than the hardware you're using.

Separate topic: in PanelBuilder32 software, there is a Comms Configuration page where you set up what Node Number and Data Rate your PanelView is going to use.

You also set up shortcut "Node Names" for the SLC or PLC controllers you want the PanelView to communicate with. Those go into the list below.

[attachment]

In your PanelView application, every tag has a Node name associated with it, which must be in that list.

comms_setup.gif

My node name is LC_1 and I included it in the tag editor. And the node address is 1.

Counsel is leading the witness

Okay, so your PanelView thinks that it is Node 2 on the DH+ network, and that the SLC-5/04 is Node 1.

I think that you just said above that the Communications Setup window in PanelBuilder does not describe the Device Type of your node LC_1. It must have an entry there; while it's possible for PanelBuilder to compile and download without it, it could still be responsible for your Error 208 code on the PanelView terminal.

Now.... does the SLC-5/04 think that it is Node 1 ? This is set up in RSLogix 500 software in the Channel Configuration dialog for Channel 1.

[attachment]

I should backtrack, too: have you been able to load a program into the SLC-5/04 controller ?

slc_ch1_config.gif

Yes the configuration setup in RSLogix 500 looks exactly like that and no I haven't been able to load a program into the SLC 5/04

Okay, follow along with me here. If the SLC-5/04 doesn't have a program in it, then how will it know it's supposed to be Node 1 ?

Your next step is to download a proper program to the SLC-5/04.

Start by connecting the 1747-CP3 cable (without the null-modem adapter) to the SLC-5/04 and using the Autoconfig button in the RSLinx DF1 Full Duplex driver to get the driver configured.

Next, in RSLogix 500, use the "System Communications" to get an "RSWho" browser window, select the 5/04, and download the program.

So do you mean to tell me that I have to download a program on the SLC 5/04, run it and then connect the PV and dowload the PB application

No. You can do it in any order.

But when the Panelview has its program and is running, it will say to the data highway, "Hey! SLC at node 1! Put this value into register N7:0 for me". Without a program, the SLC doesn't even know it's supposed to be Node 1. Or perhaps it may know it's node 1 (being the default), but doesn't know what an "N7:0" is, and so sends out the DH+ protocol equivalent of "¿Huh?", which the Panelview interprets as "Unable to write on remote device".

ok RP, I understand what it's like setting up communications with a SLC. Sometimes it can be frustrating. But in order for your system to work you need the following:

1. An application downloaded to the PV which is properly configured for communication with the SLC which includes the tag database.

2. You need to download a program to the SLC which contains the addresses, among other things, that correspond to the tags in the PV.

3. Set up communication in RSLogix so the SLC and PV can talk to each other.

4. The SLC must then be placed in Run mode. If the DH+ network is active and the SLC is not in Run mode you will get a Comm error.

Are any of your Rockwell products still in support? If so it may be time to give them a call.

Last edited:
RP said:
How do I set up communication in RSLinx so the SLC and PV can talk to each other.

You don't. rta32 was wrong about point 3. You see, normally, those of us who do this sort of thing regularly have all the hardware necessary to get our PCs on the same network as the rest of the system (ethernet, DH+, etc). We use RSLinx to verify that every device the network is up and running - the logic being that if RSLinx can see everything, then everything else can see eachother.

Unless you have a KT(x) card, or a PCMK card handy (or, heaven forbid, a KF2), then you won't be able to get on the DH+, and so you won't know for certain that the two are communicating with eachother, except by the messages on the Panelview screen.

Fortunately, DH+ isn't compicated; it's just 3 wires, and the shield wire is always in the center. So that just leave switching the blue and clear (after verifying good contact in their Phoenix connectors), and checking the baud rate (only three, and 57.6 is the most common and the default). If neither polarity works, add some terminating resistors to both ends of the cable, and you should be in business.

Going back to a previous post. You say you are unable to download to the SLC.

- Before you do the download, do you see the SLC in the RSWho part of RSLinx?

- Are the cables set up like Ken Roach said?

- What error message (in RSLogix500) do you get when you try to download to the SLC?

Last edited:
Allen,

Thanks for pointing out my oops about RSLinx. I'm so accustomed to using it automatically. I should have said RSLogix.

Last edited: