Communication Between Plc5/20 And 1771-db/b Basic Module

DEADBOLT

I am having trouble communicating between an existing plc5/20 and a newly installed, in slot 16, basic module. The basic program was copied out of another basic that does the same thing on another machine. It is comm. with a plc5/30 though. Is there anything in the basic programm that tells what plc it is communicating with? Any ideas would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Deadbolt

No, but you do have to have the data word info in the BTW/BTR all configured exactly the same (not the R/G/S info, just the info transferring between the PLC and the DB)

You should be able to go into the DB and see if the BASIC is faulted, too. If so, it will tell you on which line it was faulted. Did you remember to start the BASIC program running? It doesn't start itself...

I took the db out and put it in the machine that I copied from and it worked with out problems. Also I swapt cables and that had no adverse effect. The plc is sending the information to the DB and it is supposed to send the info to an omrom read/writer (V600-cd**). All that I see happening is the pt2x is flashing. Still need assistance is anyone knows.
Deadbolt

Good, you've confirmed that the DB and the program in it works! The program in the PLC needs to be right, too. How are the BTR/BTW's configured in both PLCs?

The DB doesn't communicate with the PLC directly like the input and output modules do. You have to tell the PLC some very specific information about communicating with the DB -- That's contained in the BTR and BTW commands. If you don't have them configured right, it's not going to work.

If you copied the BTR/BTWs from the original PLC and the DB is in some slot other than 16 in the same rack as in the original, then it's not going to work.

If you don't have the BTR/BTWs in the new program, it's not even going to try to communicate.

DEADBOLT said:
I took the db out and put it in the machine that I copied from and it worked with out problems. Also I swapt cables and that had no adverse effect. The plc is sending the information to the DB and it is supposed to send the info to an omrom read/writer (V600-cd**). All that I see happening is the pt2x is flashing. Still need assistance is anyone knows.
Deadbolt

Are the configuration jumpers the same for both cards? I beleive the peripheral port's baud rate was set by jumper switches that are only accessible when the card is pulled out of the slot

All jumpers were configured correctly in the plc and the db however, we found that the dip switches in the omron were slightly different, afterthis was corrected the problem went away.. thanks for all the help....
DEADBOLT