Communication between PLC5/80 DH+ & SLC5/05 TCP/IP?

SCADA_Dude

I've got a tough integration question (for me anyway)

I have an existing DH+ network. I am installing a new SLC5/05 on an ethernet network that needs some information from a PLC5/80 on the DH+ network. Any ideas?

I cant seem to find a gateway that will allow the SLC to communicate with the DH+ network. There is only one open comm port on the PLC5/80 thats used for programming. I've heard the Ethernet card for the PLC5 stinks, is that true?

Thanks!

There are three ways I can think of to solve this problem.

1. Add Ethernet to the PLC-5/80. The 1785-ENET only has about half the throughput of the native Ethernet port on a PLC-5E, but that hardly qualifies as "stinks". Who have you been talking to that maligns innocent modules ?

Drawbacks to this method include the cost (a couple thousand), the fact that you might have to upgrade the firmware in your PLC-5/80 to be compatible with the 1785-ENET, and the fact that you need an available slot next to the PLC-5.

2. Add Ethernet to the PLC-5/80 via a serial interface. The 1761-NET-AIC module can connect to the PLC-5/80 Channel 0 serial port and convert DF1 Full Duplex to EtherNet/IP messaging.

The 1761-NET-ENI is about a third of the cost of the 1785-ENET, but is much slower because it has to process all the Ethernet traffic through the DF1 RS232 port. And the open comm port you referred to on the PLC-5/80 might be the RS232 Channel 0 port you already use for programming.

3. Use a ControlLogix family gateway. Connect a 1756-DHRIO module to the DH+ network, and connect a 1756-ENBT module to the Ethernet network. The SLC-5/05 will be able to send a "Multi-Hop" message through the gateway to the PLC-5/80.

This is the most elegant but probably the most expensive method, depending on how much ControlLogix gear you have in the vicinity.

If you have any thing else that could benefit from Ethernet connectivity to your DH+ network(s), such as historians, report packages etc...
Then go with the CLX bridge. I installed one last fall, and it's great. I can see everything in the plant now from my office. The only thing I can't do is program DH+ panel views via the bridge. ( I can live with that!).

Thanks so much for the advice. I will go the Control Logix Gateway route as it seems to fit best with our future plans for the rest of the plant. On a side note, is it then possible to have the Control Logix address the PLC5 RIO racks?

Can you expand on that question?

For the ControlLogix bridge, you only need:
1. Chassis with power supply.
2. ENBT module
3. DHRIO module
(no processor required)

If you are wanting to re-use older remote I/O chassis and modules with a CLX processor you can via the DHRIO module. However, there are some gotcha's with analog modules, many folks recommend switching to Control Net.

I have not done a PLC-5 to CLX migration, but there are many post in the forum about it, a search should turn up many hits.