Communication Problem in SLC 5/05 via RS232

Today I added EDS files into RSLinx for SLC 5/05 (1747 L552C) as OZEE advised me yesterday but still there is the messege of "Unrecognized Device" with Red X (Cross)...
Is there any other way to access the SLC??

Another thing is that I cannot ping the device too... The message is "Request Time Out" and in the case of Event Log, it informs as follows...
- Can't read port type: read from Harmony property bag failed
- Attempting first connection, protocol = CSPv4
- Unable to establish TCP connection to the Ethernet Interface
- [10060] Connection timed out
- CSPv4 connection lost; timed out on socket write
- Attempting first connection, protocol = CSPv4
- Unable to establish TCP connection to the Ethernet Interface
- [10060] Connection timed out
- CSPv4 connection lost; timed out on socket write

Thank you so much you all again in advance...

Last edited:
If you cannot ping the SLC, then nothing else matters for ethernet. You must fix that problem first...

What is your computer's IP address and subnet mask?
What is you PLC's IP address and subnet mask?
How are you attempting to communicate - with a patch cable through a switch/router, or with a cross-over cable plugged directly into the SLC?

If the Fault LED on the controller goes solid red, all efforts to configure communications over any port or protocol are futile.

The fact that the controller shows a solid red fault light under any circumstances, as well as the fact that the controller previously lost the user program when the power was cycled, both indicate a faulty controller.

It could be a tiny wisp of conductive material across a processor pin, it could be a colony of Madagascar Silicon Mites breeding between the memory chips, it could be a deep strike to the backplane ASIC by a high-speed muon burst from the hadron supercollider.

I'm willing to be shown to be incorrect; in most cases I've seen the solid red fault light is a permanent occurence, not a conditional one.

You can continue to diagnose using PING, ARP, and HTTP on the Ethernet port, and carefully holding the user's hand about COM ports and DF1 drivers.

But odds are good that the controller is damaged and must be replaced.

Gotta say I'm with Ken ont his one..
You can't make strawberry jam out of dog S@#t!o_O

If you cannot ping the SLC, then nothing else matters for ethernet. You must fix that problem first...

What is your computer's IP address and subnet mask?
What is you PLC's IP address and subnet mask?
How are you attempting to communicate - with a patch cable through a switch/router, or with a cross-over cable plugged directly into the SLC?

Oh yaa.. I forgot to add this one also.. Sorry...
- My Computer's IP is 10.0.1.2
- My Computer's Subnet Mask is 255.255.0.0
- SLC's IP which I had assigned was 10.0.1.1
- and the Subnet Mask was assigned as 255.255.0.0
- I've made one Cross-Over cable to connect directly to the SLC from my Notebook... (The Cable I have checked, It is ok..)

One time I successfully downloaded the program into the SLC with this configuration on 3 days ago. After making supply off and then making it on there is no communication...

Last edited:
Dear Friend
If your pin configuration 2-3,3-2, 5-5 and still you have the problem than your processor is faulty. To varify replace your processor by spare one you will see this will communicate.
Altaf Belim