Communication using ASCII

I tried Rons' idea and connected it to hyperterminal and nothing is displaying on the screen. I had to shut down Linx in order to use com1. I will check my email now.

I tried Rons' idea and connected it to hyperterminal and nothing is displaying on the screen.

then maybe you don't have HyperTerminal set up correctly ... the code I posted works fine for me – see the HyperTerminal display at the right side of the picture ... (note that my Channel 0 was set for SYSTEM mode during the test) ...

I had to shut down Linx in order to use com1.

why? ... are you using the COM1 port on your computer for RSLogix500? ...

when we talked earlier I thought that you said that you have a SEPARATE computer that you can run HyperTerminal on for testing purposes ...

Ok, it is working like a champ now. I kind of figured it had to do with the display itself, and it was. Format MUST look like this: NxxIxxd6,d5,d4,d3,d2,d1, <cr>, or it will not work. Thanks guy's, I could never have done this without your support.

Nxx= display address
Ixx= user input function (if not used you must still enter a "00".
d-6 thru d-1= ASCII data
<cr>

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Last edited:
then maybe you don't have HyperTerminal set up correctly ... the code I posted works fine for me – see the HyperTerminal display at the right side of the picture ... (note that my Channel 0 was set for SYSTEM mode during the test) ...
why? ... are you using the COM1 port on your computer for RSLogix500? ...

I was wrong about shutting down Linx. It is using Com5, the hyperterminal is using Com1.
When I load the program attached it times-down and every 30 seconds it displays another "30". So my screen looks like this:

When I load the program attached it times-down and every 30 seconds it displays another "30". So my screen looks like this:

attach your program and we'll check it - or just double-check the addresses of the TIMERS yourself ... sounds like you've got a typographical error ... the number should increment by ONE each second ...